auto classing objects

buz

According to the manual, certain pio's and symbols are autoclassing. For trial and error I selected the drawing label and inserted it into a drawing. I tried it from the tools palette and the object browser and regardless of where it came from it uses the current selected class.

Is there a preference somewhere to make these pio's auto class?

tfyh

Buz

If you use the wall type tool, depending on what type of wall you select determines the specific wall class it goes in. The same holds true with some windows and doors. There are PDF files that explain where they go. I'll look for it and tell you where the folder is in a bit.

You can also select symbols from the No Class folder. These symbols are the same as the other symbols, they just don't have autoclassing and insert into the current active class.

--- In the Extras folder in the VW folder, there is an Object Library Catalogs PDF file. There is a PDF file for each VW symbol library file. It will show you what the symbol looks like, the default class, what it inserts as, and the attached record if applicable.

This is only for symbols. PIO's are a little different. It depends on which PIO you are using and which setting you have, etc.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie - thank you - my question was more related to the other objects listed in the VWA manual pages B14 to B17.

Take for instance the Drwg Label. If I select from ObjBrowser>DrwgGrapgics.mcd>drwg label it defaults to the 'none' class and if I select it from the Arch Tool Pallet it defaults to the currently selected class. The manual says it should auto class to the Notes-Sheet class.

Maybe this has something to do with the set up assistant. I am not using the set up assistant. Do these objects auto class only if you use the set up assistant?

My only concern is - is my VWA working properly.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The short answer to your last question is 'yes'. You can set the default class (the "auto-class") of a plug-in object using the Create Plug-in... command (sometimes referred to as "the Plug-in Editor").

To set the default class of a plug-in object: 1. Choose Organize>Create Plug-in... 2. Select the plugin object whose auto-class you want to set. 3. Click the Properties button. 4. In the Default Class field, enter your desired auto-class.

Note that the class will be created in a document if it does not already exist.

To set the default class of a symbol definition: 1. Select the symbol in the Resource Palette and click the Edit button on the RP. 2. In the Edit Symbol dialog that comes up, choose "Insertion Options" and then click the Edit button. 3. Choose the class from the Class pulldown in the dialog.

Note that the class for a symbol has to be pre-existing, so you will need to create it if it does not already exist.

HTH