Device and Socket renumbering command

Hi @Conrad P (and Co),

I had a look at the help file but wanted to get a bit more detail on how the renumbering command works.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FConnectCAD%2FRenumbering_devices_and_sockets.htm

I have a schematic (on multiple layers) which is getting pretty large and complex, and I am conscious that devices may no longer be numbered properly/uniquely so that they can be accounted for in a bill of quantities type report.

If you could describe how this script works and what it modifies (device name description etc) it may help to understand if it is going to do what I hope to achieve or some ay near 🙂

Thanks as always,

R

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ross,

This command simply renumbers selected sockets or devices. The command does not guarantee or check for unique device names. You should use Check Drawing for that. Remember device names don't have to be unique but socket names with a given devices should be unique. Check Drawing tests for this.

Renumber Devices / Sockets can

- either apply a numeric suffix to each selected item e.g. 1,2,3,4,

- or apply and alphabetic suffix with a delimiter character e.g. _a, _b, _c etc.

- existing suffixes of the chosen type are stripped off prior to renumbering

- you can choose start value, increment, format etc. so you can have 3,5,7,9 or d,g,j,m and so on...

- you can choose the order of numbering left-to-right, to-to-bottom stacking order etc.

The suffix is applied to each device in the selection and incremented as we go. The parameters that get updated are Name and Display Tag.

If you experiment a bit you will discover lots of ways to use this command.

Hope I've helped a bit

Conrad

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ross

No it doesn't change the Equipment name. I can see your point, but I can also see potential snags. More than one schematic device can point to a particular Equipment Item. So at the moment it would be tricky to make this automatic. I'll think about it though and maybe I'll find a way.

Conrad

• Like 1

Thanks @Conrad Preen.

On a similar note. Is there any way to change the way the numbering is formatted regarding a space or no space between the preceding device name text?

Our house style would be to have a space, and I notice that if a space already exists the formatting is kept, otherwise the (new) number is appended on the end of the text.

Cheers,

R