Importing plant data reference data

Having major problems with the above.

We have a plant database in Excel format, sadly the Filemaker runtime doesn't import Excel directly so we convert to tab delimited file. This them appears to imort to the Filemaker version of the plant reference data file (.txt format)OK. When I run the script to export ready for copying to VW the data check in filemaker runs OK. I then copy the PlantReferenceData.txt file to the VW data folder. When I run VW to view the Plant reference data I get the following error:

Warning: _351 _10 - Error in read data.

Error: _351 _10 - Array ALLOCATE end < start: _26

Does this mean anything to anyone?

If I set up a quick and dirty Excel sheet and import that it works just fine - the problem lies with importing data from a particular source - even though their sheet appears to be clean and tidy it always fails. Have tried most types of data file to import - sylk, wps etc and same result.

Help

TIA

Woodfiddley

I am having similar problems going from Excel thru the Plant Database Utility (PDU) and into VW. When I export to VW from the PDU and copy the resulting file into the appropriate plug-ins folder, not all of the items show up when accessed through the plant reference data commnd in VW. If I open the data file in the directory, it is all there. I have spoken with Katie at tech support who had me e-mail the files to her. I am still waiting on a reply. Any input is appreciated.

Robert,

What would the corect syntax be for the import

Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset'

Acer rubrum "Red Sunset"

Acer rubrum Red Sunset

FYI:

The horticultural standard is to contain the cultivar of the plant in quotations. i.e.

Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset'

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One last thing. You should look at your text file. There will be a number in the first line. This number should be the number of records (lines) remaining in the file. In other words, if you have a plant database of 1250 plants, the text file should be 1251 lines, the first line being a single number, '1250'. Make sense?

Robert,

I checked the text file and the number of remaining lines is there. I counted and it is correct. The ommissions are scattered through the list not clumped at the end. Does this make a difference in your trouble shooting?

Thanks

JEA

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem or similar when mporting from Excel. I have noticed every second plants name turns up in the comments field in the plant data base when viewed from within Vectorwoks