Detail Viewport don't show information drawn in annotations

Hi All,

I've created a couple of building sections, onto which I've added a lot of detail information such a framing insulation, etc. in the annotation viewport. When I create detail viewports from these sections none of the detail information I drew appears to have been carried over to the detail section viewport. I just see the empty wall, floor and roof outlines. Am I missing something or is it really necessary to draw all this information again on the detail viewports? 

For reference, the first image shows the section with the additional information added in annotations and the second image shows the bare section before any fill was added. This is also what the detail viewport shows.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 2.20.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 2.24.32 PM.png

Firstly I would suggest that the bulk of what you're showing in the first screenshot you could be deriving from the model + not manually adding in the annotations.

But having done so, rather than using the 'Create Detail Viewport...' command to create a detail of the annotated VP you could just duplicate it, crop it to the area you're concerned with then rescale it to the size you want. This way you'd retain the annotations in the second VP

• Like 1

@Tom W. this sort of goes back to my earlier discussion about how far to develop a model. I've created wall types that show all the components but those components don't show up when I create a section viewport. For a job of this size, I'm not sure it's worth building a model stick by stick. The framing tool would save some time but I'd still have to model siding, air voids, insulation, sheathing, drywall, etc, etc. I'd have to double my fees just to take care of draughting.

7 hours ago, MaltbyDesign said:

I've created wall types that show all the components but those components don't show up when I create a section viewport

Why don't they show up? What Attributes settings are you using in the Advanced Section Properties?

7 hours ago, MaltbyDesign said:

For a job of this size, I'm not sure it's worth building a model stick by stick. The framing tool would save some time but I'd still have to model siding, air voids, insulation, sheathing, drywall, etc, etc. I'd have to double my fees just to take care of draughting.

It's more that from your screenshoots + what you wrote the implication was that the tiles/hatches were hand-drawn in the annotations rather than assigned to the wall components. So not a matter of doing any extra modelling, just utilising the in-built functionality of the wall tool. So I may have misunderstood things but sounds like it's just a case of adjusting the cut plane attributes in the VP to show the components: choose 'Separate Cross Sections' + 'Use Attributes of Original Objects'.

The wall plates, sole plates + joists you could apply in the annotations but the hatches/tiles should be there automatically.

• Like 1

I like also to tick the "merge structural objects with the same fill" as it often helps get rid of unwanted 'junction' lines between wall sections etc.

I've never been entirely clear what count as "structural objects" for this feature; all I know is that ticking it usually gives me something closer to what I want.

'Structural objects' refers to all building elements such as Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc

'Non structural' refers to Extrudes, Generic Solids, etc. So if you enable 'Merge With Structural Objects in Sections' in the O.I.P. for these types of objects you can merge an extrude + a wall for example in a section when 'Merge Cross Sections' is enabled in the section settings

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

'Structural objects' refers to all building elements such as Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc

'Non structural' refers to Extrudes, Generic Solids, etc. So if you enable 'Merge With Structural Objects in Sections' in the O.I.P. for these types of objects you can merge an extrude + a wall for example in a section when 'Merge Cross Sections' is enabled in the section settings

Thanks. So it includes non-structural elements of walls etc.

And I'd not really paid attention/noticed that option in the OIP of extrudes etc - very useful to know.

No I don't think so. The core component determines how walls are joined + how they align when drawn. And also which component is framed when you use Wall Framer. I think the 'structural' + 'nonstructural' terminology for how objects display in section viewports would probably be better called something else so less confusing.

That's how I understand it anyway

You also have the option of designating a wall component 'Load-Bearing' in the Function parameter which I believe is just for IFC export...