Is there a way to set the default layer when entering a viewport via the double click method?

simbob

Question

Is there a way to set the default layer when entering a viewport via the double click method? every time i enter any viewport in this specific document the active layer is 'Title Block', but this is not the layer i want to draw on so i have to toggle to the one i want. It stays on the one i select going back and forth until i go to a different page, when i come back to the previous one it's back to 'Title Block' (if this were just one viewport i'd just get on with it but it's every one of 20+ in the file i'm working on).

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 17.25.51.png

9 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Boh said:

No there isn’t. This would be a good Wishlist item.

Meanwhile I suggest either setting up saved views or using multiple view panes and just using the navigation palette to make layers active.

Ok thanks, that's disappointing. I thought re-ordering the layers may work but alas no. I'm not even sure how it sets this up as they are not even ordered chronologically.

1 hour ago, AlanW said:

@simbobHi, if you set the the desired design layer on edit viewport then it will always go to that file even if you change design layers while working in the file. Thant's what i have found.

Hi Alan, I think that’s what I’ve been trying, it works like that if I’m going in and out of one viewport, but if I navigate to another page and come back it returns to ‘Title Block’ as the active layer, and it’s the same for all pages as I think they have been duplicated

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

When you double-click on an object from a design layer in the viewport, it should make that object's layer the active layer.  This is also true when right-clicking on it and using the Edit Design Layers content menu command.

Hi Matt, I’ll give that a try, thanks

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

When you double-click on an object from a design layer in the viewport, it should make that object's layer the active layer.  This is also true when right-clicking on it and using the Edit Design Layers content menu command.

I never knew that! Nice to learn a new trick. Thanks @Matt Panzer !!