Wrapping a polygon along a path

Hi all

I'm wondering if there is a way to wrap or fold a polygon or other object along a path, forming a 3d path - and then possibly extruding a profile along this path.

Difficult to explain, but I draw an example. Let's assume it's some kind of a railing. In 2D plan it has some kind of free form - in the example just a couple of corners with fillets, but it could be a bezier curve or an arc as well. Then we have the elevation of the thing unfolded. It's planar. Here it's a continuous pattern, but could be freeform as well. Is there a way to process these into the 3d structure shown in the top left corner? And as a cherry on top, it's possible that someone would like to extrude a profile along the 3d path object thus obtained. 

I know the extrude along path command, but I have had difficulties making it work with 3d path objects.

Cheers

Antti

image.thumb.png.3670cc27af40bb04d3f4b798d3c9691d.png

image.png

Edited by Anttti

The only way to do this that I know of would be to run a sequence of 3D Loci along each Rail top and bottom. You could do this easily using the Duplicate along path command.

Once you have the Loci in place top and bottom, use the Nurbs curve tool (degree setting to 1) to draw a Nurbs curve between each alternate 3D locus. This will give you the lacing that you have shown above.

You can then use the extrude along path command to create a 3D profile for the lacing. Depending on exactly what you want then you may need to trim off the top and bottom corners.

I then extrude a rectangle along each rail polyline.

Here is my very very quick result.

1554078025_Screenshot2021-03-24at14_25_15.thumb.png.87bbf050aea2621afa67d372a7014a31.png

Edited by markdd
2 hours ago, markdd said:

The only way to do this that I know of would be to run a sequence of 3D Loci along each Rail top and bottom. You could do this easily using the Duplicate along path command.

Thanks @markdd! The result is beautiful and the procedure simple enough - for making just this kind of railing. But if we think the lacing should curve along the rail, 3D loci don't solve the problem. We wouldn't get the wanted results with different geometry, if the rail would have larger curves or the lacing would have curvature for example. After all, my example drawing was simple enough to be drawn with just polylines. 

So I have to look into the marionette capabilities a bit deeper. Thank you @Hans-Olav for the tip!

• Like 1