Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Setting Record Format to Read Only - Or Not

The typical way is to hide it from the resource browser. Just like object format records are not visible. If that isn't sufficient you might try working with catching the kNotifyRecordChange event but I doubt you can catch the exact change, you could compare this from a default sitting in your resource library.

What I want to do is to write to the read-only Plant Record that is attached to Plant objects. Exactly what I want to do is to clear most of the record fields in the Plant Data tab when editing the plant style. Currently you have to do it manually one line at a time so it is quite time consuming. It needs a Clear All button because many users will duplicate an existing plant style to create a new plant, and don't necessarily want this data duplicated. Here is the script I am working with, but I need a way to temporarily write to the plant record. It may not be possible.

Procedure CPD;

Procedure DoIt(h1 : HANDLE);
    VAR
        i1 : INTEGER;
    BEGIN
        FOR i1 := 1 TO NumFields(GetRecord(h1, 1)) DO CASE i1 OF
            3,4,6,14..39: SetRField(h1, 'Plant Record', GetFldName(h1, i1), '');
        END;
        ResetObject(h1);
    END;

BEGIN
    ForEachObject(DoIt, (Sel=True) & (PON='Plant'));
END;
Run(CPD);

It seems that the editing dialog / OIP controls the data and since the record is read only you won't have access.

I couldn't find anything in the SDK related to this special hidden record type (besides some kludge calls) . I find it interesting myself as I'd like to have readonly records as well;

@Vlado Is this feature exposed to VS / SDK?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 minutes ago, Hippocode said:

I couldn't find anything in the SDK related to this special hidden record type (besides some kludge calls) . I find it interesting myself as I'd like to have readonly records as well;

Lock the handle and it will show up as read only. SDK: gSDK->LockObject, there doesn't seem to be a Script function to lock objects