rookie wants to put rafters in new class

I am a VW virgin struggling with the basics...but;

I have used the 'create rafters from roof' command, and now want to change the rafters to a new class. You'd think it would be simple, so I select all the rafters, then in the object info palette, I change the class (from "none")to one I have created called "rafters". Next, I go to the classes pull-down in the data display bar and make the "none" class invisible. This hides all the rafters?? What gives?? Thanks in advance smile.gif" border="0

Yeah Buz, it's the only visible class...the columns I just drew on layer "rafters" are visible, but not the rafters. If I select a rafter, (I have to turn on class none first), the object info pane says the rafter is on class "rafters".

This is the sort of s..t that drove me away from AutoCAD...the block is created on a different layre than the current layer when it is inserted etc...

So you created the rafters in the 'none' class>then via obj info switched them to 'rafters' class.

Now, with none class selected the rafters are visible, but the obj info palette says they are assigned to 'rafters' class?

Do I understand the situation? Not sure I can help but am willing to give it a shot.

Also, try this: In classes dialog, turn all classes on, close dialog box and then scroll (Use the up down arrow keys - shortcut) through your layers till the rafters are visible. See where that gets you.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The rafters are disappearing because they are plug-in objects, also known (more generically) as "container" objects. Other types of container objects are symbols, groups, and certain types of 3D/hybrid objects such as slabs and columns. Container objects have a "container" that can be assigned a certain class while it has internal objects that can be of a different class. Your rafters disappear because you have set their container class to 'Rafter' while the internal components of the rafter are still in 'None' class. Normally this is fine (i.e. hide the 'Rafter' class and your rafters will 100% go away because you've hidden their "containers") =unless= you hide the None class =or= set the class options to 'Active Class only'. The simplest way to avoid this is to:

1. Always have the None class visible;2. Don't use 'Active Class only' mode except for certain very specific tasks

HTH.