difficult extrusion

Bunjimun

Question

(update, pic added 😊 thanks for the advice so far) im drawing a half domed roof (made of triangles and trapeziums) but i dont know how to extrude the sections from 2d, the shapes should be larger where the extrusion ends but obviously normal extrude just goes straight, is there any way to make the shapes flare out? i feel like id use some sort of loft function in another 3d app but cant figure it out with VW

any help appreciated

tia Ben

Capture.png

Edited by Bunjimun
Adding pictures

@Bunjimun Good work and advice from AlanW and michaelk !

That said....unless I am on Planet Claire, could you not just use the roof tool and simply make two sets of roof faces? In this example I used 8:12 for the lower roof segments and 5:12 for the upper roof sections. Again, very hard to decipher that from the screenshot.

I suppose the benefit of actually using the roof tool is that it allows you to add a texture to the different parts of the roof. And easily change the thickness, etc.

You could certainly achieve this with the other methods offered, but to use different textures for the top, sides and bottom of the roof you would need to extract a lot of surfaces to procure that from the solid objects.

It appears, although I am not at all certain, that from the screenshot @Bunjimun provided, it looks like there are perhaps 10 roof faces on the angled roof pieces?

Sort of hard to tell for sure.  So, as mentioned, I could be way off in my interpretation.

I attached a screenshot and a small file.

@Bunjimun If you are indeed still brushing your teeth, have a look at the file.

553293992_ScreenShot2021-03-20at7_12_47PM.thumb.png.338914843e85b6874921241a3a0af116.png

ROOF v2020.vwx

@Bunjimun I was not implying you needed to use any of the materials I had shown for the roof or walls.

I just had a problem looking your dark dark screenshot.  This was all about offering up a solution, with your minimal description of exactly what it was you wanted to achieve .  Get it?

Hence my comment about me perhaps not understanding you attempting to explain what you want. 

So....since you really did not commit...is this what you wanted relating to resolve your issues, or not?  

Oh,  what does 'designing for uni' mean? I have no friggin idea ;-)

@Kevin K not sure from your message if i offended?!  i sincerely thank you for the solution you offered and i may well use it in future, but after trying michaelk's solution just now ive found that's got the result i need, i wasnt saying i felt id have to use your textures just that i dont have a need to texture the exterior or make it look like a roof in any way from outside, ill have a go with the roof tool, perhaps its still relevant to my need

(as for the uni part, this is a project for my university course, design for film and television)

Edited by Bunjimun
correction of wording