difficult extrusion

Bunjimun

Question

(update, pic added 😊 thanks for the advice so far) im drawing a half domed roof (made of triangles and trapeziums) but i dont know how to extrude the sections from 2d, the shapes should be larger where the extrusion ends but obviously normal extrude just goes straight, is there any way to make the shapes flare out? i feel like id use some sort of loft function in another 3d app but cant figure it out with VW

any help appreciated

tia Ben

Capture.png

Edited by Bunjimun
Adding pictures

One way would be to use the working plane tool to create a working plane that is looking directly at that face. Duplicate the shape and resize it so that you have one part that is the top of the extrude and one that is the bottom of the extrude. Select both and use the Multiple Extrude tool.

Or use set the working plane and use the Tapered Extrude tool.

I expect @Kevin K or @michaelk To have a much better solution. Let's see how long it takes them to show on a Saturday afternoon. (Sunday evening for Kevin).

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford Dr. Stanford......first...I just returned to chez moi, so , as my dear departed mother would say, "just cool your jets!"  :-). 

Secondly sir.....it is noon on Saturday at the moment.  Tahiti  is in the same time zones as Hawaii....currently 3 hours earlier than US west coast time..

You know me well....like you, always up for a Saturday challenge!

I just read what Bunjimun wrote, but honestly without a bit more data, uploaded file or an image, I am sort of flying blind.

It does appear that I did beat michaelk, however. :-)

• Like 1

Yes.

Use the working plane tool to set a working plane on the face in question.  Make sure it's active.

Open the Working Plane Palette Window>Palettes>Working Plane.

Right click on the palette and choose New.  In the origin x,y,z fields add or subtract from the Z value to raise or lower the new working plane.  Give it a name.

Back in the Working Plane Palette, right click on the new working plane and choose Activate.

• Like 1

Good idea.  If you want components you could use an open polygon for the profile to get the outside surface.  Then Shell Solid to get the thickness.

Then extract surface and shell again to make the components going to the interior.  You'd have to clean up the edges, but that's not a big deal.

@michaelk I did start doing that but wasn't sure if it was making proper 3d geometry, I have ribs that aren't showing that would make it easy for me to build it up with faces but would adding all the sides turn it into an actual solid object? (I'm not even sure I know what I'm saying now so forgive me if that makes no sense)