Hardscaping Tool and 3D rendering

I'm struggling to use the hardscaping tool in 3D. I can set up a great looking flagstone area complete with border in 2D etc etc but when I come to render it in 3D (setting it as a texture pad with a class that has a texture defined) I get nothing

I would guess I'm missing something simple but help would be appreciated!

When you first create hardscapes the Hardscape Object Settings dialog box opens. One of the options available is Draw 3D.

To do it afterwards

- Select the Hardscape

- On the OIP select Hardscape Settings

- Check the Draw 3D option

- Confirm the change by clicking OK

This is covered in the manual, and is also in the online Help.

- Search for Hardscape

- Look at the topic Creating Hardscape Objects

[ 03-09-2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Thanks Mike. I'd used the Draw 3D option but turning it off and then on again does make a difference (bug??). However, although the Slab and Pad options give me something visible in 3D Texture Bed doesnt so I guess there must be something wrong with the Class definition I'm applying?? When I switch to flyover mode all I get is a either the corner marker dots or a tiny little locus type mark depending on the view position.

Will have a look but any ideas appreciated.

John - I can see what you mean. I don't know how to overcome this though.

Just out of interest I converted the hardscape object to a group whilst in a 3D view to see what was there. The ony object you get is a single 3D locus. This suggestds to me something is not working as it should. Have you tried your UK distributor's support?

Have successfully applied the same class to an extruded rectangle and this works fine. So it seems to be the combination of the Hardscaping object and the application of a rendered texture via Texture Bed with Class??

I'm assuming that other people have successfully used hardscaping with rendered textures??

Mike, I'm using V11.0.1. What version are you using? Not sure if V11.5 would help but some of the posts I've been reading have discouraged me from upgrading just yet as I've several projects on at the moment.

Using a combination of grouping the hardscape object and then converting to 3D polygons and applying the class got me a 3D surface that rendered but I cant seem to do it again! And of course I lost all the 2D flagstone pattern.

Also, drawing a hardscape with the Draw 3D option deselected and then Converting to Group followed by Converting to 3D Polygons gets a 3D black and white object with the flagstone pattern, but no texture at all???

So at the moment it looks like the only way is to generate two drawings - one 2D and one 3D - not very efficient, and a little haphazard!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

John, the Hardscape object creates a "texture bed" (not a pad, that's something else) which is a kind of site modifier that "drapes" a texture over a landscape without modifying the contours. It can alternetively create a "pad" modifier, which changes the contours. I'm assuming that you are wanting a "texture bed". Understand that these are site modifiers and work with a DTM. I assume you have a DTM? If not, neither the "texture bed" nor the "pad" option in 3D are relevant. If you are not using the hardscape as a site modifier, you should use the slab option. Give it the class that you've defined with your texture, and make sure that it is displaying attributes and textures by class.