I made a Material Cutting List Worksheet. It works!

It took some time, but I finally got this working. The worksheet shows the part ID, quantity, dimensions and material to be cut. It assumes that thickness is the smallest dimension, width is the middle dimension, and length is the longest dimension. That assumption is true almost 99% of the time. I will be happy to share my file and explain what I did and how it works to anyone who is interested. Send me a messages and I will send you the file.

1389334159_ScreenShot2021-03-17at3_01_52PM.thumb.png.447950a52698cce9f53de8d23663d933.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you assign the part ID manually? Does the list include all objects in the file or do you somehow separate objects to be listed from others? Did you find a good workflow for having several cutting lists in the same file, in different sheet layers for instance? 

I've been messing around with cutting and parts list type of worksheets a bit with some success, but haven't really reached a conclusion on what the best workflow would be. Things tend to turn a bit messy when you start to duplicate the worksheets and create workarounds on how to include/exclude some objects and so on.

By the way, there used to be a preformatted parts list functionality in previous versions of VW. I gather it's a legacy tool now. I guess using data tags and worksheets is supposed to replace it?

1 hour ago, Anttti said:

Do you assign the part ID manually? Does the list include all objects in the file or do you somehow separate objects to be listed from others? Did you find a good workflow for having several cutting lists in the same file, in different sheet layers for instance? 

For the Part IDs I assigned a record with an ID field. At first I ent to each object and added the A, B, C, etc. Later I found that those IDs can be added manually inside the worksheet and that is SO MUCH FASTER. The worksheet does filter out some objects. All of that is handled in the worksheet criteria settings. I have make two cut list worksheets on one drawing, but that's as far as I got, and I did not have problems. PM me if you want a copy of my file.

• 6 months later...

Hi Bruce,

greetings and thnx for sharing your file.

I'm interested to investigate but, atm i only can use VW 2021 (until the German release on 20th Oct.) 

Would you please so kind to upload also a VW 2021 Version?

… or does the list include special formulas, which are only available with VW 2022?

Greetings and have a nice weekend

Tobi

4 hours ago, Tobias Kern said:

Hi Bruce,

greetings and thnx for sharing your file.

I'm interested to investigate but, atm i only can use VW 2021 (until the German release on 20th Oct.) 

Would you please so kind to upload also a VW 2021 Version?

… or does the list include special formulas, which are only available with VW 2022?

Greetings and have a nice weekend

Tobi

It is a Vectorworks 2022 file, and yes it does use a worksheet function that is new to 2022 and that won't work in 2021.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tobias Kern said:

Hi Bruce,

greetings and thnx for reply.

May i ask, which new WS function you use to make the list possible in VW 2022?

Greetings
Tobi

I did have my Cut List working in 2021, but formula needed to define the part's width had to be a nested if then, and it was complicated. 2022 added the median formula, which I knew was the solution from using Apple Numbers, and I had wish listed it with Vectorworks. I changed to using the median formula, and that is why back saving to 2021 won't work.

Also, Vectorworks 2022 essentially eliminates screen plane, and I have always been in favor of that. You can turn it back on in Document Prefs/Legacy 2D, but I suggest that everyone embrace this change and adjust your workflow. Use design layers for designing in 3D, and use sheet layers for annotating. I changed all of my current drawings to eliminate screen plane. I'm using Multi View Planes so I can view my cut list worksheet, which is placed on a sheet layer now, along side a pane with my 3D design layer.

Another welcome change in 2022 is a new worksheet Define Criteria dialog box. It's a HUGE improvement and I don't know if it would back save to 2021.