Geoimage error

Luciana

Question

7 answers to this question

Hello @Luciana
I also had this problem that seems recurring with Vectorworks.
To solve this you have to stop the automatic resolution and lower the resolution of the image to 200,300 or 400 dpi.
Another solution is to enlarge the size of the geo-referenced image.
Both of these solutions work, but personally I hardly use Vectorworks' NATIVE GIS card functions anymore. Too random, and long to refresh with each file reopening.
I collect aerial photos with Google Earth and I reference them with a KMZ file, also I tried Global Mapper which manages the creation of georeferenced files, and finally SAS Planet that downloads and assembles tiles on fairly large areas.
It took me a few weeks to find a methodology that is reliably "reproducible," but now it works pretty well.
There you go.
Have a nice weekend.
Kind regards.
Edgar

I also have this problem when I am trying to use some of ESRI's available maps from its living atlas (firefly/clarity imagery services) which I know are some of the better quality functional imagery services. It seems like we should be able to get access to decent quality aerial imagery without problems.

However, I cannot get these to work at all in VW. no matter how low in resolution (50, 150, 500,etc) , how large i zoom out, or small I zoom in.  Seems like there is some kind of bug here, as this functionality appears to be set up, but not functional.  Maybe @Tamsin Slatter has a better idea about these issues?

image.thumb.png.80970bf6ea349b1d5d171bc1c72813c4.png

Edited by Poot
  • Like 2

This is a slightly different but related issue: I tried applying a Geoimage Texture to a Site Model yesterday + had some problems. Firstly, as with the Geoimage Tool I had to crank the resolution down to 200 in order for anything to happen at all, but this was to be expected. But what was more alarming was that the geoimage only displayed when I set the 3D Style to '3D Extruded Contours'. In the 3D Mesh styles the surface of the site model became a triangulated mesh with no fill colour let alone a geoimage. And worse still, turning off the Use Geoimage Texture setting didn't return the display to normal, nor did restarting VW! The only way to correct the issue was to Undo.

I tried this in VW2020 + VW2121 + it was the same.

I have applied geoimage textures to site models in the past without any problems so be great if @Tamsin Slatter could investigate this as well... Thanks

On 3/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, Luciana said:

For some reason my geoimage does not download anymore. Does anyone know how to fix it?

image.thumb.png.0104cd384629f742ccc44a3907da38c2.png

I'm also experiencing this problem in multiple files that were working well up until recently. I'm having to lower the resolution of the objects to a level that the imagery becomes blurry just to be able to see the image. What used to be crisp/sharp imagery is no longer usable. Something has changed and is making these un-usable in my drawings. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate any ideas.

I'd rather not have to try and bring in google imagery and re-do work that has been done when there is a tool specifically designed for this application within Vectorworks.

I'm affected by this issue on Italian Architect 2023 sp3 version too.

All the WMS services I normally use in QGIS are not working in VW. I'm always present4ed with ArcGIS satellite picture instead of my custom web service for WMS service.
Have tried all the above suggestions like lowering resolution (as low as 50 pixel) or enlarging covered area without success. 
Have sent an issue query to local customer service and let's see what they say.

screen.jpg

Edited by MarCur

I've found that in order to use some WMS services other than ArcGis it seems that your file have first to be set to the very same reference system of that WMS to avoid the above errors (whose claims are misleading).

Whenever you have your file somehow set to a certain projection system, and the 3rd party sources have a different projection, palce the Geoimage as a rectangle or whatever, select it, go in OIP and click on the button to set custom layer projection (iI dont have english version so it may be something else like "Layer Georeferencing") in order to make it shows correctly.

Edited by MarCur
  • Like 1

I have had a new problem come up with WMS satellite imagery.

Everything worked fine setting up the cropped image, but when I deleted the crop to create a new one it is no longer working to get any image, even with the same area, larger/smaller size or resolution. It even stopped working with a new blank file...

The coordinate systems match, and the default service works fine... But it is a big PITA to have the geoimage stop working (continues to work with previous/different files)

Not sure if anyone has figured out common problems that are not resolution, crop size, or coordinate system?