How do you wrap an extrusion around a curved shape?

Ami

Question

hi,

I'm wanting to create some interior and exterior panelling on a hemisphere and not sure how to do it. so how do I wrap a simple extrusion around the curvature of the shape accurately?

Any help would be great thanks. 

Edited by Ami
add tags

7 answers to this question

You need to use the Extrude along Path command.

First you need a path. I assume you want to use the base of the hemisphere. In which are use the Extract tool on the 2nd Curve mode. This will create a Nurbs curve. You should probably Group it so you can work o it without any other distractions.

Enter the group and you will hopefully see just the Nurbs curve on it's own. If you don't then deactivate the Show Other Objects while in Edit Mode option from Vectorworks preferences or from the View Bar.

Make your extrusion profile and then select the profile and the Nurbs curve and run the Extrude along Path command from the Model Menu.

Once you are happy with the Extrusion, exit the Group and Ungroup the object. You should have an extrusion along the profile of a hemisphere.

Mark's idea will work  only for a single direction of curvature. If you are trying to make panels that are part of the hemisphere and therefore have to bend in multiple directions that idea won't work.

I don't think there is a way in VW other than to possibly model a flat panel and then use the Deform tool to bend it in multiple directions.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Mark's idea will work  only for a single direction of curvature. If you are trying to make panels that are part of the hemisphere and therefore have to bend in multiple directions that idea won't work.

I don't think there is a way in VW other than to possibly model a flat panel and then use the Deform tool to bend it in multiple directions.

@Pat Stanford Do you know of a way to bend and extrusion like the one I've shown to a path (shown in blue) - am I just asking the same question in a different way???

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.49.34 PM.png