Off XY OIP Measurements

Landartma

Question

I am building a display area for a shed manufacturer and have laid out circulation and variety of shed sizes.  I started taking the dimensions right off the OIP for the noted size of the buildings.  The buildings on the xy axis are accurate but the ones that deviate from it show odd measurements.  I'm guessing that the measure in the OIP is the xy dimension of the blue handles not the object.   Is there a way besides actually dimensioning each shed or running the tape measure to click on them and get the actual dimensions of the building on the OIP

The other odd thing is that the buildings were created using the square tool then placed and rotated to fit specific offsets from fences.  Once I had them rotated to fit I adjusted the size in the OIP.  Now some of the buildings that are off access have not only the wrong  dimensions in the OIP but also have really odd dimensions when I use the dimension tool.  I'm guessing that both issues have the same answer.   Is there a setting for items which are off axis.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (37).png

1 answer to this question

If you use rectangles rotated off axis, the measurement in the OIP will read correctly.  The two objects in your example are polygons, so you are correct in that the OIP will instead give the dimensions of the bounding box, since it pays no mind to the actual geometry.  In your case, you could totally use rectangles since everything has simple 4 vertex geometry.  If you leave them as polygons, then the only way to get true dimensions is to use the Dimension tool or the Tape Measure tool.

• Like 2