Attaching Data Record to Device

Hi,

One for @Conrad P I think....

I would like to be able to pre-assign the room/location in which my devices will be located without having to first create the rooms in the Rack Elevation Layout layer, running update rack equipment, and then placing each linked Equipment Item into their specific rooms. Reason being - I have drawn the schematic as individual room systems and positioned them on the drawing so that they are grouped in rooms. The rooms contain lots of similar items of equipment so telling which one is which, and then dragging each one into a room is very time consuming.

I can't enter the room names to the Devices via the OIP, so I was wondering to speed things up. Could I attach a data record to Device and use that to allocate my own room/location data... and then some how transefer my data record information into an Equipment Item (linking them by device name as normal). So that I can select Equipment Items where MyRoomName = X and select them all and drag them into a room.

Does that make sense?... or is there a better way of doing this I am missing! (Creating separate layers for different rooms (and updating rack layout for current layer seemed excessive and would be painful to change the circuits between them)

Thanks,

R

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ross

Yes it makes sense. But it isn't a complete workflow yet. Let's say for the sake of argument we made the Device location fields editable. Now what?

What will be the behaviour when you create Equipment items? If the room exists shall we put the Equipment in it? and where? starting top-left and moving across perhaps? If the equipment is too much for the size of the room then shall we make the room bigger? and if it overlaps another room? If the room doesn't exist do we create it? and where?

Complicated...

Here's my 2c worth. The problem is that all the equipment arrives at once - like a bad removal firm! What if the command that creates the equipment had an option "Selected devices only"? Then you could select the devices in a particular room, create equipment and place it in the room on the layout drawing. Repeat until all rooms are done.

That's an easy one to do. What do you think?

Conrad

• Like 2

Absolutely.. Creating Equipment Items based on selected devices only was a first choice yes!!! 🙂 I could then block and move them as Equipment items ! as they were 'delivered' to the Rack Elevation layer one truck load at a time ...

I agree the workflow isn't always an easy one.. perhaps as the 'removal firm deliver' they  take the opportunity to se which boxes have room labels on them and drop the boxes off in sequence as they do now.. but add a bit of space between anything where the boxes have a label on them already ... Dare I suggest 'grouped' (But I have discovered grouping is often frowned upon 🙂).

I was just asking about adding data records now as a workaround until the 'ultimate solution' is available.

Thanks as always,

R

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Update Rack Elevation is due for a face lift so I will enter the "Selected devices only" option as a wish item. This is really easy and will help a lot.

Presetting locations of devices is another can of worms altogether as you saw from my brief introduction. There are an awful lot of assumptions that have to hold true for that to work. Simple straightforward solutions are the way to go.

Thanks very much for bringing this up!

Conrad