Same Record Formats in all presentation sheets

Hi everyone!

My question is the following: is it possible to automatically link one record format (that once filled stays the same) to each presentation sheet of my project presentation?

Usually my projects have 3-4 pages each. I use record formats to place there all the data of that project (name of designer, name of project manager , location etc..) , so each project has one record formats that repeats in each single sheet of its presentation layout.

Currently what i do is to fill in one record format in one sheet and copy paste it in each single sheet. Buf if there would be the way to only fill it in once and automatically it updates in each sheet would be awesome.

Hoping it can help a bit better to understand the nature of my question, for example in indesign you can use the master pages so once you assign that master page to the sheets, the content that you have into that master page automatically updates each single sheet --> i am looking for something similar in Vectorworks. 

🙂 

Thank you!

Veronica

Short answer is No.  Once a Record is attached to an object, it is independent of the Record defaults and the data attached to any other record.

The longer answer is there may be work arounds.

1. Take a look at the Title Block Border object. This can be placed as just the Title Block so you don't get the border. Any it offers both Project and Sheet specific fields. If you change a Project field it is updated on all of the TBB objects.

2. You could create a master Worksheet to edit the data in. You would still need to copy/paste to each row of the database, but at least all the information would be in one place and you could easily see if something does not match.

3. You could use Custom Modification to edit all of the objects at the same time. But if someone forgets and only edits a single instance you would not see it without comparing the different sheets.

4. You could write a script that would let you enter the data and then store it to each instance of the record.

Ask again if you need more help.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pat, 
I tried to understand how eventually create one of the 4 alternatives you proposed but i think i am not enough skilled to even get close to understand what is what you write. Have no clue what a title block is, how to creat a master sheet, how works the custm modification (and where to find it..).. 🤯
I will try a bit harder once i will have some more time and check each single option if it is explained in the forum. I guess i need some more theory! 🙂 

But thanks a lot for the reply!

Really much appreciated.

Veronica