Custom Dim Standard Question.

I have a Dim Std set up for my office (very creatively called HDS).

Every couple of weeks I get frustrated with having to select all the dims and set the precision values for each.

So I open up the Dim Std Menu.

Duplicate my office style.

Rename it  'HDS-1/4' or 'HDS-1/16' or 'HDS no fraction'.

Search around a bit for the precision setting...

...and then remember that I did this same thing a couple of weeks ago and could not find the 'precision setting' and so gave up and set all the prec. by hand again.

Is there not a way to set precision by style?

I don't think you can set dimension precision by style. Dimensions by default will take on the precision set in the File > Units... setting. If you change it there then all subsequent dimensions will use that precision.

Units is a document specific setting so it's good to set up your templates with your preferred precision setting.

image.thumb.png.954248a4ad6eeceb51b98abce8d1984e.png

A quick way of updating the dimension precision settings for multiple dimensions is the custom modification tool in the tools menu.

image.thumb.png.2c2d60f1c53276ea78e319e9d1b7e257.png

image.thumb.png.1f815fd301e92c3ed2b0aa94ab0266fa.png

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1

That's to bad.

Isn't that something that would be useful?

Having dimensioning styles is great, but it seems like we need finer control...

Maybe I'm just spoiled by years of Acad...

1993610611_DimStd.thumb.jpg.e58b98092aa1099ee9f86435e10b331b.jpg

And that's just one tab.

You really can define almost every part of your Dimension Standards.

Plus you can have decimal feet AND feet-inch-fraction standards (I know all you metric users are shaking your heads at this🙂) - which is so helpful when working with a Civil.

I suggest you put it in the Wishlist forum.

I’m an architect and so like to round to 5 or 10mm when setting out anything rectilinear. So what I do is use a snap grid set to 5mm in both x and y directions. For detail drawings I set the grid to 1mm. This allows me to draw freely whilst keeping everything to a nicely rounded dimension..

It also means I can set my units to very high precision. Because I’m using a snap grid the constrained dims are all multiples of 5mm. If they aren’t and I get a dim with 8 decimal places it’s telling me that something has moved off grid and I jump in and fix it before it compoundsto a bigger problem. This is my way of pretty easily and consistently getting really highly accurate drawings.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There are a couple other things here you can use. In the Unit you can control the dimension precision separately from the unit itself.image.png

Then there's another trick you can use, if you don't normally need to use dual imperial/metric units.  You can set up dual dimensions, but both as metric or both as imperial.  The secondary will take its precision from the secondary unit (there isn't a separate unit prec and dim prec like this image above for the primary).  In the Dim Std, you can set one standard to "Dual - use primary only" and a second to "Dual - use secondary only" and then you have two standards with different precisions.Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.52.04 PM.png

• Like 3