CUSTOMIZING PRE-FORMATTED REPORTS

Can somebody please point me to tutorials for customizing pre-formatted reports? I have been spending two days getting NOTHING done, trying to create the simplest of schedules:
1) Basic Light & Air schedule: One picking up the names of the "Room Name Simple" from a Viewport annotations (managed that part!) and then simply having one column importing the room size from that very same room name tag; two columns where I can either import or even manually enter the glazing/venting size; and two that show those as percentage of room area.
2) I made a great window schedule from the pre-formatted schedules. All good. I spent a whole friggin' day trying to create one column that says how many of that type window are in the room, and one column multiplying that by the glazing area.  

I would know how to do all this in my sleep on Excel, but I cannot get the references. In example #1 here, there's just nothing that I can find that references the room area. It;'s just not there. I need a tutorial. I have read through the VW Help. I have watched 4 Youtube videos on how to create a schedule--none of which address these issues exactly, because they all build schedules that only reference records the person created from scratch. And i can't find anything in the VW University. Arrrrrgh. thank you!

Bit rushed now but for 2) I don't think there is a record for area rather you have to just multiply the length by the width.

I would recommend using space objects for this sort of thing rather than the Room Name Simple tool. Space objects are much more sophisticated and because of that have their own learning cureve.

But you have done the best thing and posting on this forum as there are some very helpful people here.

image.thumb.png.88b791bd5a1a4af1249d82586b8e9722.png

Thank you, I took your advice and gave up on the simple space name! I have redone the spaces with the space tool and have been able to make a table with a list/column of the spaces as well as one with the corresponding Areas. 
Now, how do I reference the three windows in that room, in specific, their glazing area? I went into the window data and gave them a location, thinking I could reference that, but that doesn't seem to work.6166377_ScreenShot2021-03-16at8_16_27PM.thumb.png.56850b9563ba85e0ab41dbac08875f45.png

I am not familiar with the native window and door tools as we use a third party plugin called WinDoor for this (Australasia release only). The Windoor windows and doors can be linked to spaces so in theory they should be able to be listed in a spreadsheet room by room (or space by space). As I'm not familiar with the native window tool I'm not sure if it is possible with that.

Another possibility is to have a worksheet with a data base row for each room with the criteria being that windows between certain ID numbers are present (i.e. the windows in each room if numbered consecutively. You could then have a columns for glazing area and sum the totals to get the total glazed area for each room.

A further possibility is that there are user fields available in the spaces tool so you could use one of them for your glazing area and make a worksheet of all of your rooms (spaces) and manually enter the glazed area for each room.

image.thumb.png.0a34033cc59c58e0502026dd67a0b9c7.png

The WinDoor objects can be linked to spaces so I could possibly use that as a criteria to get just the windows in certain rooms to appear in a database list but not sure that can be done with the native window tool.

• Like 1