Section Elevation markers disappearing in Plan Viewport

Just noticed that couple 'section-elevation lines' in my sheet layer viewport were visible - until I activated them with the 'Create Section Viewport' button - at which point they were no longer visible in my Plan viewport.

They created their respective connected viewports on the sheet layer but are no longer visible in the plan view viewport.

I have them on a separate layer 'Z-ANNO' and a separate class '00-DIM' and have drawn them in a design layer.

Should I have drawn them in annotation space of the plan view viewport??

To be clear, they are still visible in design layers, just not in my sheet layer plan view viewport.

• Like 1

@hollister design Studio The viewport name is listed in the OIP, it's the field at the very bottom (standard name field for objects).  I've gotten much better at naming viewports lately, I used to have drawings with "Viewport-1", "Viewport-2",etc and it was terrible to find things.

There is also an "automatic" way of naming viewports (Drawing Number / Sheet Number), but unfortunately it gets really screwed up when you copy and paste viewports or copy sheet layers, so I've gone back to naming them myself.

I actually don't mind section lines being handled this way.  When I'm doing exhibit layouts, I'll do an elevation and cropped plan view for each wall.  I'll draw out all of my section lines in a dedicated design layer, and then use the Section Line Instances button to make sure that only the section line pertaining to the elevation is visible in the plan viewport.  If I wanted to do something similar with classes, it would require a ton of individual classes for each section line.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

I honestly thought that 'drawing title' was the viewport name.

That would seem to make sense, wouldn't it? I used to wonder about this, then one day I realized it's because you might have dozens of viewports with the same drawing title (such as "Plan" or "Front Elevation"), while the "Name" field has to be unique per object.

But I do wish Viewport auto-naming were improved. I swear the topic comes up weekly on these forums in one manner or another 🙂 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I am still incredibly lost.

First image is the design layer with the sections, second image is my sheet layer where i have my sections but they just wont show up on the plan?

I tried different classes, the section line instance option, recreating the viewport?

forum1.png

forum2.png

forum3.png

I also had a related issue last week, where I was allowing it to auto number sections, in order that it would update the references automatically - but the section numbering was starting at 2, and I couldn't work out how to get it to start at 1... any insights welcome! (I suspect it was because it considered my viewport object #1, but in reality it looked like there was a section missing... )

On 3/11/2024 at 2:59 PM, Amanda McDermott said:

I also had a related issue last week, where I was allowing it to auto number sections, in order that it would update the references automatically - but the section numbering was starting at 2, and I couldn't work out how to get it to start at 1... any insights welcome! (I suspect it was because it considered my viewport object #1, but in reality it looked like there was a section missing... )

When you create a VP on a sheet, VW automatically gives it the next sequential drawing number available on that sheet. So in your case it sounds like you already had a VP on that sheet + the section VP you were creating was the second VP. If you want the section VPs to start at '1' you would need to renumber the first VP. Or send the section VPs to a blank sheet. Drawing Numbers must be unique on each sheet layer.

• Like 1