Log cabins - hints needed!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I think this is an interesting question. I assume you mean is it possible to turn the Wall Hole Component on + off in viewports depending on whether you want to see the detail it generates or not? This is not an unreasonable thing to want + would be quite useful. But it seems that once you insert a symbol in a wall, whilst you can turn the 3D Component on + off by class you can't do the same with the Wall Hole Component: once you've made that hole it's there for good. Is this correct @Matt Panzer + if so is there a reason for it being like this? I'm somehow surprised to realise you can put a door or window in a wall but not 'remove' it again by turning off its class (well remove the geometry but not the hole).

In a nutshell:

The reason for all this is that the wall creates one set of 3D geometry for itself.  This is not as simple as showing or hiding an object in different detail levels because a wall hole object is actually modifying the wall geometry.  In order to support up to three levels of detail for wall holes (and possibly other things), the wall would have to create a separate version of itself for each detail level.  That means walls could potentially need to generate and contain 3 times as much geometry.  While implementing something like this is technically possible, it would affect performance and also increase file size.

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...
On 10/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Matt Panzer said:

I create another symbol to place at the end of each wall to cut pieces out at varying offsets.

How would you turn the end of a single wall.  See attached for trying to do it with a Wall Recess using an EAP and then remembering this thread.  Do I need to make the "wall cutter" symbol that creates the concrete blockout and insert it once on the side of the wall and once on the end?

UPDATE: Nevermind.  In this instance I could fix it using the Edit Wall tool per 

VW Wall Recess at End Problem.vwx-02 29 2024-07 32 PM.png

VW Wall Recess at End Problem.vwx

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, E|FA said:

How would you turn the end of a single wall.  See attached for trying to do it with a Wall Recess using an EAP and then remembering this thread.  Do I need to make the "wall cutter" symbol that creates the concrete blockout and insert it once on the side of the wall and once on the end?

UPDATE: Nevermind.  In this instance I could fix it using the Edit Wall tool per 

VW Wall Recess at End Problem.vwx-02 29 2024-07 32 PM.png

VW Wall Recess at End Problem.vwx

Good to hear you found a way.  If the legs was not sloped and a consistent width, I would recommend using two components of the same material with one being the depth of the ledge and wrap it at the end using the Wall End Cap tool.  Your solution or using a wall hole cutter are the only way I can think of doing this.

3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I would recommend using two components of the same material

That's probably a better solution.  The slope is not important at the model scale (will be shown in 2D details), and I'm already using that method - there's a footing stacked under this one.  

2 hours ago, E|FA said:
5 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I would recommend using two components of the same material

That's probably a better solution.  The slope is not important at the model scale (will be shown in 2D details), and I'm already using that method - there's a footing stacked under this one.  

Yeah.  If you can do without the slope, I'd go with the two component trick. 🙂 

13 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

If you can do without the slope, I'd go with the two component trick. 🙂 

In which case you need to make sure you merge structural objects in the section VP settings...

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 2