Log cabins - hints needed!

That's a really great video @Matt Panzer thank you. So if I became really obsessed + wanted to depict super-realistic featheredge cladding (bevel siding) or vertical batten on board siding for that matter I could use this technique? To just remove material from the outside face of the wall. And would this give me the correct profile in each case in top/plan + vertical section?

Thanks again lots to try out...

^ That is what I thought too.

Not sure how far or complex you can go.

If it is only thought for the Wall's outer sides or if you can also

freely subtract the Wall Volume from inside.

(like for Wood Constructions)

Wall Connections ?

But would be definitely an option for my Aluminium Panel Facade.

Maybe not the best option when Panel sizes don't really match

the Story heights.

Is the Symbol Position always from bottom of the current Wall needed ?

Or could there be a single huge Symbol used by all Outer Walls ?

Edited by zoomer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm not sure how far and complex you can go either and would certainly be cautious.

The hole can, however, cut out anything from any part of the wall's 3D geometry.  It essentially is subtracted from the wall.  In theory, you could cut out spaces between studs and sculpt the siding component with hole geometry but I think the performance will quickly slow to a crawl.  I'm especially thinking of cutting out geometry for things like shake siding.  I would limit the use of this for fairly simple things.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

The wall ends all being flush was bothering me.

No it is time for some variation along the Wall 🙂

Different radii of trees and along their lengths .... for each Wall different of course ...

Maybe by multi Extrudes with 2 profiles.

Edited by zoomer
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Very nice indeed. Do these log-end symbols stay with the walls if you move them?

Here's a newer version of the file with the log end cutter symbols.  These symbols are inserted at the very end of each wall so they do move along with them.  However, if you drag the endpoint of a wall to make it longer, it will not move along with the end.

Log Cabin Wall Log Cutter Symbol v2020.vwx

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

No it is time for some variation along the Wall 🙂

Different radii of trees and along their lengths .... for each Wall different of course ...

Maybe by multi Extrudes with 2 profiles.

Yes, of course.  And they should not be perfectly round either.

Since I've already uploaded the file, I'll let you add them.  I don't want to keep all the fun to myself!  😉 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Here's a newer version of the file

Thanks @Matt Panzer that's really useful to see. I like the shake siding where you've taken the back of the boards off as well that looks great.

582644166_Screenshot2020-10-12at06_24_17.thumb.png.dea3e5348ea60d00cb2e95d6f4ec3054.png

I also love your fibreglass insulation texture I'm taking that for my libraries!

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this it's really interesting

• Like 1

Lovely stuff, would be nice to be able to do it on roof style too. I mean roofing component with slates.

Anyway, what a coincidence. 

I am just about to start to work on a new renovation project - house that its walls are built out of logs and I have been really thinking for last few weeks how to approach it with conventional wall. Texture way wasn't satisfying enough.

Now I know 😀

I guess it's a toss up between how much detail one wants to see in the model + impact on file size/performance. And whether in plan/section you draw the detail by hand - or use a hatch - or expect it to display automatically as a result of the wall itself.

I do like the way the cladding looks in 3D in the examples I tried out but it's quite a subtle effect + unlike Matt's log cabin you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between it + a texture in most views. However it's really handy to have the cladding component display authentically in plan/section.

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks @Matt Panzer that's really useful to see. I like the shake siding where you've taken the back of the boards off as well that looks great.

Thanks!  I originally tried making separate shake shingles but, as I predicted, the performance was not good.  So these became boards.  But yeah, that little bit of space behind the boards worked out nice.

I also love your fibreglass insulation texture I'm taking that for my libraries!

That must've come from Vectorworks 2021's "Wood 2x Framing Insulated - 16in O.C. MT" material resource when I exported back.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this it's really interesting

Absolutely!

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I guess it's a toss up between how much detail one wants to see in the model + impact on file size/performance. And whether in plan/section you draw the detail by hand - or use a hatch - or expect it to display automatically as a result of the wall itself.

I do like the way the cladding looks in 3D in the examples I tried out but it's quite a subtle effect + unlike Matt's log cabin you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between it + a texture in most views. However it's really handy to have the cladding component display authentically in plan/section.

Right.  But please note that this really is a clever workaround for doing these things.  I would limit the use of this to simpler more basic things.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Lovely stuff, would be nice to be able to do it on roof style too. I mean roofing component with slates.

Yeah.  But, as I mentioned to Tom, this is not the intended purpose of 3D Wall Holes in symbols.  I don't believe you want to show slate shingles on a roof like this.  I tried it on a wall and it's far too much detail.  

5 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Anyway, what a coincidence. 

I am just about to start to work on a new renovation project - house that its walls are built out of logs and I have been really thinking for last few weeks how to approach it with conventional wall. Texture way wasn't satisfying enough.

Now I know 😀

Great!  Please let us know how it works for you if you use it!

17 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

this really is a clever workaround for doing these things

I often work with older buildings + had been wondering how best to bend VW's neat straight lines to the more organic surfaces I'm looking at. Your wall hole tip Matt is great + I'm sure there are many circumstances I'll be looking at how I can use it. For example here I've used it to create a cornice + angled plinth in a brick wall:

865388660_Screenshot2020-10-13at07_57_31.thumb.png.34949ae05b53f153174589caa9be151e.png

119279123_Screenshot2020-10-13at08_01_20.thumb.png.b6f6a32221cf4870aeb23237295b7ec1.png

I was assuming I'd need to model extrudes + apply them to the wall surface but this is a far more satisfactory method.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Matt Panzer I believe this wall hole technique should work on Roof objects as well as walls but I can't get it to happen - would you be able to help? 

This is my roof:

1649946452_Screenshot2020-11-24at05_53_43.thumb.png.4ebcba893c2697b637cfa7208860ad00.png

And this is the wall hole symbol I made + was trying to apply to it:

675438446_Screenshot2020-11-24at06_19_11.thumb.png.340f9ccf2241d7fc978e402c9785bfe4.png

I can insert the symbol into the roof as you would a skylight but it has no effect in the model: it doesn't clip the surface.

But then when I've looked at various skylights in the libraries to see how they're set up I've realised they don't even possess 3D Wall Hole Components so now I'm really confused. How in that case do they clip the roof?

This needless to say is what I was trying to achieve (done here as a solid subtraction):

2065042060_Screenshot2020-11-24at06_46_57.thumb.png.19fb806cc0f4ab291bb98746aab3df51.png

Just an experiment but any guidance appreciated

Many thanks

Tom

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Hi @Matt Panzer I believe this wall hole technique should work on Roof objects as well as walls but I can't get it to happen - would you be able to help? 

This is my roof:

1649946452_Screenshot2020-11-24at05_53_43.thumb.png.4ebcba893c2697b637cfa7208860ad00.png

And this is the wall hole symbol I made + was trying to apply to it:

675438446_Screenshot2020-11-24at06_19_11.thumb.png.340f9ccf2241d7fc978e402c9785bfe4.png

I can insert the symbol into the roof as you would a skylight but it has no effect in the model: it doesn't clip the surface.

But then when I've looked at various skylights in the libraries to see how they're set up I've realised they don't even possess 3D Wall Hole Components so now I'm really confused. How in that case do they clip the roof?

This needless to say is what I was trying to achieve (done here as a solid subtraction):

2065042060_Screenshot2020-11-24at06_46_57.thumb.png.19fb806cc0f4ab291bb98746aab3df51.png

Just an experiment but any guidance appreciated

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, Roof and Roof Faces do not use hole geometry from symbols.  However, Slab objects do (when the symbol is placed in its slab modifier group).

Holes for skylight symbols in roofs are automatically created to the 3d bounds of the symbol.  We realize this is not ideal.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

@Matt Panzer, Is there anyway to get this to work with the detail level? I want high level detail for my renders & 3D models, but when doing sections it needs to basic otherwise it grinds the process to a halt.

Everything looks so much better in 3Ds when modeled correctly, but need to swap to suit the situation. My option at the moment is to have two symbols and swap between them, one with the detail, and the other with just a loci. I can't seem to find another way around it to get the best of both worlds.

Similar issue with roof cladding, using framing members with a custom symbol, but need to be able to use the detail level but it doesn't seem to work? Or do i just need two objects, the detailed roof object, and then the simple roof face?

17 hours ago, Itchy said:

@Matt Panzer, Is there anyway to get this to work with the detail level? I want high level detail for my renders & 3D models, but when doing sections it needs to basic otherwise it grinds the process to a halt.

Everything looks so much better in 3Ds when modeled correctly, but need to swap to suit the situation. My option at the moment is to have two symbols and swap between them, one with the detail, and the other with just a loci. I can't seem to find another way around it to get the best of both worlds.

Similar issue with roof cladding, using framing members with a custom symbol, but need to be able to use the detail level but it doesn't seem to work? Or do i just need two objects, the detailed roof object, and then the simple roof face?

There's no way to have different wall holes in different detail levels.

19 hours ago, Itchy said:

I think this is an interesting question. I assume you mean is it possible to turn the Wall Hole Component on + off in viewports depending on whether you want to see the detail it generates or not? This is not an unreasonable thing to want + would be quite useful. But it seems that once you insert a symbol in a wall, whilst you can turn the 3D Component on + off by class you can't do the same with the Wall Hole Component: once you've made that hole it's there for good. Is this correct @Matt Panzer + if so is there a reason for it being like this? I'm somehow surprised to realise you can put a door or window in a wall but not 'remove' it again by turning off its class (well remove the geometry but not the hole).