VW 2021 SP3 - Hidden Line Render Horizontal Section VP All Surface Hatches Disapper - Only Slab Objects

drelARCH

Question

12 answers to this question

Any idea how to bring back in SP3 slab surface hatches...? 

Maybe @Matt Panzer might have solution...? Our projects solely use horizontal sections to generate plans, now hatches of floors (or roofs = sloped slab with drainage settings) are all gone.

It so frustrating to see again after service pack update that surface hatches have issues.

It seem to me that there is lot more issues now than in previous SP.

- for some reason i get missing some lines of slab objects (roof flashings) in section viewports

- also missing visible lines of extrudes in autohybrid (fixing ill interior/exterior wall component at the door/window openings)

- site model take way longer to update with some flickering during update

- there is no fix to section viewports randomly converting to regular viewports fo no evident reason

- in few hours of work after upadte I saw way to many unwated conversion of section lines styles to unstyled

- viewport with clip cube active in opengl viewport...when clip cube plane is changed in elevetion in-place on return to viewport whole sheet layer is covered with some version of top view of model...

Files were generated in 2021 version and I am afraid I cant be more clean and very strict with dealing all resources  and what comes into files

...WHY, WHY, WHY ???

On 3/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, Matt Panzer said:

OK.  I got the file and see the issue.

Bug submitted (VB-177491).  I'm getting attention to this ASAP.

Hope soon is really very soon. 

All work that went into setting up surface hatches for many materials textures in plan view is useless now.

I wonder why it takes already two months and still waiting to fix latest service pack that accidentally(?) got rid of surface hatching of slabs in horizontal section viewports.

I mean this was working in SP.2 and before so it isnt new feature that has to be yet developed...We spent quite some time to set up large library of materials with textures and surface hatches associated (for slab styles included) and after last service pack surface hatching is gone from viewports

Why this isn't top priority to bring it back within days...??? I understand that this isnt something that is crucial to program but still it was working already...

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, drelARCH said:

I wonder why it takes already two months and still waiting to fix latest service pack that accidentally(?) got rid of surface hatching of slabs in horizontal section viewports.

I mean this was working in SP.2 and before so it isnt new feature that has to be yet developed...We spent quite some time to set up large library of materials with textures and surface hatches associated (for slab styles included) and after last service pack surface hatching is gone from viewports

Why this isn't top priority to bring it back within days...??? I understand that this isnt something that is crucial to program but still it was working already...

My apologies for the wait and frustration.  This was a very high priority bug but the fix came on the very same day 2021 SP3.1 was released (this was four days after I reported it).  Even if it were to come a week before that release, it's possible it wouldn't have made it in due to inadequate testing time.  That said, you should see this fixed in the next SP very soon.

• Like 2

@drelARCH,

I want to give you a heads up that this issue you were having will most likely come back in Vectorworks 2022 (probably in SP2).  The reason being that it is inconsistent with how hybrid objects display.  When using the Display 2D Components option, you should see the 2D component and not the 3D.  Of course, turning off Display 2D Components will still show surface hatches.  In order to have hatches with the option on, you will need to apply the hatch in the Slab Style or use class attributes and overrides in viewports to show hatches in the viewports you want.  This is consistent with how other hybrid objects work and trying to treat slabs differently creates other bugs and unexpected behaviors.

I wanted to let you know about this now so you can plan for when this behavior changes.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for coming back with warning in advance. I appreciate it.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I want to give you a heads up that this issue you were having will most likely come back in Vectorworks 2022 (probably in SP2).

Does this mean that in initial realese - SP0 of VW 2022 it should still be working as is now...?

So I will skip SP2 then...and by SP3 it should work again...? or should I adapt to other workflow down the road...?

On 8/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, Matt Panzer said:

The reason being that it is inconsistent with how hybrid objects display.  When using the Display 2D Components option, you should see the 2D component and not the 3D.  Of course, turning off Display 2D Components will still show surface hatches.  In order to have hatches with the option on, you will need to apply the hatch in the Slab Style or use class attributes and overrides in viewports to show hatches in the viewports you want.  This is consistent with how other hybrid objects work and trying to treat slabs differently creates other bugs and unexpected behaviors.

I am not quite sure I completely understand what you are saying...

By applying hatch to slab style do you mean selecting hatch as a fill for 'slab attributes'...? so you mean regular hatch instead of surface hatch?...hatch in that set up will be disconnected from texture so I have to correct mapping of hatch to align with texture (of topmost component)  in order to be consistent (when i present same part of building in textures and in hidden line so for example tiles looks same size in both viewports)...

Well at the end whatever workflow it takes I wish i could precisely set up size and have perfectly aligned texture with hatch ...

Will class attributes and overrides work in section viewports? So far I've had mixed experience with using class attributes and overrides in section viewports...but that may be caused by me not setting up something correctly....

Edited by drelARCH
3 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for coming back with warning in advance. I appreciate it.

Does this mean that in initial realese - SP0 of VW 2022 it should still be working as is now...?

So I will skip SP2 then...and by SP3 it should work again...? or should I adapt to other workflow down the road...?

Vectorworks 2022 SP0 will work as it does now, but the behavior will change probably in SP2.  So you will need to adapt your workflow by then.

I am not quite sure I completely understand what you are saying...

By applying hatch to slab style do you mean selecting hatch as a fill for 'slab attributes'...? so you mean regular hatch instead of surface hatch?...hatch in that set up will be disconnected from texture so I have to correct mapping of hatch to align with texture (of topmost component)  in order to be consistent (when i present same part of building in textures and in hidden line so for example tiles looks same size in both viewports)...

Well at the end whatever workflow it takes I wish i could precisely set up size and have perfectly aligned texture with hatch ...

Right.  When displaying 2D components, you would see the slab's 2D component with its hatch and when not displaying 2D components, you would see the 3D.  So, you're correct that you would need to setup hatches for both 2D and 3D representations.  I realize this is more to manage but it's consistent with how hybrid objects work in Vectorworks.  There are currently a number of issues we're working to correct and making all this consistent will making things work more reliably and predictably.

Will class attributes and overrides work in section viewports? So far I've had mixed experience with using class attributes and overrides in section viewports...but that may be caused by me not setting up something correctly....

Class overrides should work on the attributes of objects that you set to "Use Original" in the Advanced Properties of the section viewport.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Vectorworks 2022 SP0 will work as it does now, but the behavior will change probably in SP2.  So you will need to adapt your workflow by then.

OK.

Right.  When displaying 2D components, you would see the slab's 2D component with its hatch and when not displaying 2D components, you would see the 3D.  So, you're correct that you would need to setup hatches for both 2D and 3D representations.  I realize this is more to manage but it's consistent with how hybrid objects work in Vectorworks.  There are currently a number of issues we're working to correct and making all this consistent will making things work more reliably and predictably.

OK. I did some quick tests...but I suppose I have to really wait when changes happen (by SP2) to be able correctly test and see fully workflow that we will need to adapt by then...?

After some tests would by nice to have control to see slab attribute hatch only on top component area. I mean I have slabs (for ground floor) with many components in them a they can stick out (edge offset) - outside of the building ...but i need that hatch only for interior area...hope this will be somehow addressed....or i will have to cover those parts with hardscapes and other landscpae objects...

Class overrides should work on the attributes of objects that you set to "Use Original" in the Advanced Properties of the section viewport.

I see, it indeed does work, but I cant use data visualisations then which is quite essential to my workflow as this is sort of 'viewport styles' available at the moment, quickest way to graphically express results in different way

12 hours ago, drelARCH said:

I did some quick tests...but I suppose I have to really wait when changes happen (by SP2) to be able correctly test and see fully workflow that we will need to adapt by then...?

Yes.  You won't be able to fully test until the service pack that has the changes is released (probably 2022 SP2)

After some tests would by nice to have control to see slab attribute hatch only on top component area. I mean I have slabs (for ground floor) with many components in them a they can stick out (edge offset) - outside of the building ...but i need that hatch only for interior area...hope this will be somehow addressed....or i will have to cover those parts with hardscapes and other landscpae objects...

The best I can say for this is to post this request in the Wishlist forum along with a simple example file showing what it does now, and what you'd like it to do.  This will help us to understand the need better and you may even get some replies offering a solution.

I see, it indeed does work, but I cant use data visualisations then which is quite essential to my workflow as this is sort of 'viewport styles' available at the moment, quickest way to graphically express results in different way

It might be best to see how this all works after the changes are in place.  That will allow you and others to look at the problem in a file and investigate the best solution.

• Like 1