Importing McMaster Carr drawings

I'd like to download and use McMaster Carr drawings for a project. Out of all the file types (3D: EDRW, IGES, PDF, SAT, Solidworks, STEP), (2D: DWG, DXF, PDF, Solidworks) what would be the correct type to download and where would I put it to utilize it? I'm assuming I'd import to a new project and save in the Library>Favorites folder?

Thanks for any insights...

I have not downloaded a lot of file from McMaster, but I have imported a few and a lot of parts form other vendors.

I personally have liked the STEP and IGES imports best.

With McMaster, I think you will probably need to try different imports for different parts. I am relatively certain that McMaster is only packaging the models provided by each component manufacturer, not generating their own. So different components are likely to import differently.

Suggestions:

1. Always import into a blank file until you are certain that the import works OK. You don't want to have something come in with multiple classes you will have to clean up in your main file later.

2. Think about what is important to your future use. If you only need the geometry then a model that comes in as a single Generic Solid might be OK. But if you want to be able to apply different colors/textures on different parts, then you need a different level of detail.

3. Consider "cleaning" up the models. Depending on how the models were created and what you eventual use is, it might be worth the time to "de-detail" the models. If these are parts of a relatively large assembly, then you might not need each of the 1/16" filets on every edge (for example) and you might get far better rendering performance on something with straight edges.

• Like 2

I don't think there's necessarily a "correct" file type to use when downloading from McMaster Carr. Obviously, 2D vs 3D makes a difference as far as if you want a 2D or 3D object to use in your VW file. But besides that difference, each file type might work just fine functionally and only have subjective differences.

That being said, different file types do behave different ways. For example, I've used SAT, STEP, and IGES from McMaster Carr before. SAT and STEP seem to be fairly similar, while IGES seems different. SAT and STEP items tend to import as generic solids, while IGES items tend to import as a group of NURBS surfaces. IGES imports tend to have a more "defined" shape because of this, at least in OpenGL (IGES on left, SAT on right)(click picture to make bigger):

1956364883_HexIGES.thumb.png.4865d6bf6fd3595d17fdf40f83c22c02.png   676121000_HexSAT.thumb.png.cd288f4d251b27133ae0d4fbd087b944.png

The tradeoff is that when used in VW files, I've found SAT or STEP symbols to be only 50-70% the file size of an IGES symbol. So...there's a balance, and it's kinda up to you which route you go. I've been pleased with symbols I've created from SAT resources. I would encourage you to download a couple items in multiple formats, import them each, and see if there's a noticeable difference that you care about.

Now as far as where you put these symbols when you are done creating them...you can import items, create symbols from them, and have them all in the same VW file. A file added to the favorites section will work for accessing your new symbols. Or, you could add the VW file(s) with your new symbols to your User Library (for yourself) or to a Workgroup Library (to share if your working with a team).

• Like 2

Thanks guys, this was even more good information than I had hoped to get!

I'm quite new to vwx, so its all a big puzzle right now. I pulled a STEP file into a new project file and was pleasantly surprised with the positive results, up to and including that the STEP file even works as a good wireframe model for 2D work.

Thanks again!