Frequent Crashes

How many other programs do you have open while running VW ?

In the lower right hand of your screen, how many icons do you have?

If you screen is turning black slowly, then it's probably an overall memory issue. Other programs are using alot of memory and resources needed for VW to complete it's tasks.

No other programs running.

4 icons on lower right.

I seem to have resolved the problem by purging the drawing of all categories of extraneous stuff.

Also, this drawing is characterized by a very large number of grayed classes. I'm wondering if graying a class requires a lot more memory.

Fingers are crossed...

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: ErichR ]

Using 9.5.1 & W98, I have imported several AutoCad 2000 dwgs. They are not large files (800k). They do have many classes, most of which are grayed.

Crashing occurs upon grouping some of the objects, moving them, nudging them. After, maybe 2 such commands the objects might all turn black, the text might change radically, the screen might turn black, or gray, eventually crashing VW.

Thinking it might be a memory problem, I reduced the undos to one, with no change.

These chrashes occur frequently (every five minutes or so.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be related to the grayed class problem you stated. I was deleting all objects by layer to set up a file for a new project. As I was scrolling through the layers with Command down-arrow, every time I came to a particular grayed site plan layer with an imported DWG lines and text, VectorWorks Architect would crash. I tried it six times to make sure and it crashed everytime.

I'm on a Mac w/VW 9.5.1 & MacOS X 10.1.4.

Additional thoughts: After importing DWG/DXF files, not only do you sometimes import new symbols, classes, and layers, but also DASH STYLES. It makes me wonder if the new DASH STYLES could create some conflict which causes crashes?

Each of my drawing files has evolved from prior drawing files (the main reason is that you can't transport SAVED SHEETS). At varying degrees of frequency VW will crash and then not for a while one file based on another will not have as many problems while the other will. Gremlins or miscellaneous objects or combinations of objects and attributes picked up along the way creating conflicts or is it the software?