Team workspaces - save to workgroup folder

Ross McLee

Question

Trying to manage a team (in my case quite small) and keeping our tools and commands in the most efficient locations is a bit of a challenge.

As I understand it, when saving a workspace it is stored to the user folders. If you want to share that workspace with the team (so they can benefit from your development) you need to copy the user folder contents to the workgroup folders. I have done this.

However If I want to edit the workspace further it is saved back to my user folder (is that correct). It would be good to allow users (possibly just admins?) to edit the team workspaces directly (just as you would a standard template) so that everyone benifits and works in a similar way. It's not for everyone, so they are still entitled to use their own workspaces, but...

Cheers,

R

5 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Ross McLee said:

However If I want to edit the workspace further it is saved back to my user folder (is that correct).

I think that would be correct, though I haven't tested it.

6 hours ago, Ross McLee said:

It would be good to allow users (possibly just admins?) to edit the team workspaces directly

I could see this being a handy feature, though a quick copy-paste isn't too bad currently (although I can relate with the pain of having to remember to do it). Not sure what happens when you edit a workspace that someone else is actively using...although I suppose that is already a possible issue with workgroup-based workspaces today, regardless of whether or not a direct-edit is possible...

• Like 1

We are also a small to midsize arch practice and with our recent upgrade to vw2021 I am trying out putting our office vw workspace in our shared workgroup folder.

I am not 100% sure but this may be causing some errors on my machine where my vw prefs all revert to the default factory settings occasionally on start up. Not sure it is the cause yet. So far I’m the only one in the office having this issue.

I can confirm that when you edit a workspace that is in a workgroup library the edited workspace is actually saved back into your user library. You need to cut and paste it from your user library into your work group library.

@Pat Stanford I haven’t noticed any untoward behaviour with palettes moving around. 

Link to other post re vw prefs:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/discover/content-started/

• Like 1