Interior Elevation Viewport - N S E W

Oh I see what you mean: you mean the marker refers to 'North Drawing No. 3' in the O.I.P. when for you this should be 'South Drawing No. 3'? This is just referring to the marker's orientation on the screen + isn't relevant beyond that is it? I mean you can rotate the marker through 45° + it will still refer to NSEW... Don't you just need the marker numbers to correspond to the drawing numbers on the sheet layer + both can be whatever you want? 

It's a bit of an archaic tool for a couple of reasons. Has to be used on design layer, only names the first VP not the others

• Like 1

I think I was just confused because the arrow in the marker is pointing in the opposite direction of the view (unlike a section line which correctly points in the same direction that it's facing). The N arrow is pointing S but the VP section is facing N, so I'm actually good.

Yes, it is a bit of an idiosyncratic tool, and it's annoying that it has to live on the DL (among other things).

• 3 weeks later...

@_James I think it was just a misunderstanding on my part. The interior elevation marker in VW seems to be standard (across all drafting conventions). It gets really confusing when you only use 1 cardinal direction because it's just 1 "arrow" pointing in the opposite direction that the elevation is facing. For that, a traditional section might make more sense.

I'm not coming from an architectural background, so I'm still learning the nuances and best practices of properly documenting sections and elevations in a drawing set. For now, I'm more intentionally placing sections instead of just dropping an interior elevation in every available space. It's kind of a paper / rock / scissors thing for me. As @Tom W. pointed out, the interior elevation tool comes with some caveats, so it's one of those "what's the best tool for the job" choices.

Edited by Mark Aceto