Stair Tool Broken

ErichR

If you press on the stair tool, then in the mode bar click on the Preferences button, does a Stair properties dialog box appear where you can specify the type of stair you want ?Then you can double click in the drawing where you want the stair to go.

Please make sure you have the class teh stair goes in turned to visible. There are a variety of classes the stair will go in, try to see if you see a Vert-Trans-Main class. Set it to visible and make your class options set to Show others at least. You may see your stairs now.

• 2 weeks later...

stair.vso exists, as one would expect, since the tool works in some files and not others (as earlier stated).

Problem with the stair tool not activating is not isolated. I've had two drawings now with this problem.

Tried a workaround: paste in a stair from another drawing. Got an error message to the effect that a class definition already exists. There was a class definition in the drawing called "stair". Eliminated it, and the stair tool works fine.

Yes, and the codes we work with require handrail extensions of 12" beyond the last riser. These are important details one needs to show accurately. Either that, or allow VW to force us to draw stairs diagrammatically and show detail in enlarged drawings. This isn't really ok. since we want our drawings to be consistemnt.

Second the double break line idea, which has always been the drafting standard for stairs.

Since the stair PIO topic is alive, I would like to add that the stair pio handrails need to havean option to be offset. If a stair is located along a wall on one side or both(in most cases for interior application) the handrail must be at least 1.5" from the wall (UBC). A separate offset field is needed for each side since thereare situations where one side needs offsettinginwards and the other outwards.

Most of the times I use the 2d part of this PIO and I resort to converting the pio to group to adjust the handrails location accordingly.

Robert, thank you for the suggestion. I used the handrail plug-in to create a handrail, but I had to tweak the values to have a handrail only and not a guardrail.

The "1st upright spacing" value has to be higher than the lenght and the "1st horizontal height" value has to be higher than the "overall height"value. Or, assing a class to "uprights" & "intermediate rails" and turn it off.

I believe a better name for the handrail pio is guardrail pio. In certain cases the top of the guardrail can act as a handrail but not always.

My 2 cents