Worksheet If/Then formula.

Testing on VW2019, your formula would look like the following:

=IF((D2='Width'),2,10)

If you're familiar with Excel, what's a little different is the extra set of parentheses around the logical test.  If you miss this, the result will simply by TRUE or FALSE depending on the logical test and it will reformat the formula to remove the IF statement.

I'm stuck trying to work out a nested if/then formula. Here's what I need to combine:

=IF((D2=WIDTH), MIN(HEIGHT, LENGTH), MIN(LENGTH, WIDTH))

and

=IF((D2=LENGTH), MIN(WIDTH, HEIGHT), MIN(LENGTH, WIDTH))

Or in human language! If D2 = WIDTH then show the minimum of HEIGHT and LENGTH, otherwise if D2 = LENGTH then show the minimum of HEIGHT and WIDTH.

Using OR might be a solution too.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

What are Width and Length? Values in a cell?  If so, then they need to be compared as strings.

=IF((D2='WIDTH'), Min(HEIGHT, LENGTH), Min(Length,Width))

If they are numeric values, then your equals will fail unless they are equal out to 16 decimal places. You probably want to round to maybe two or three places to give the equals a better chance of working.

If you are combining multiple logical statements, then an ampersand ("&") is used for an AND condition and a vertical pipe character ("|") [on my Mac keyboard this is the shifted option for the forward slash character, right side of the keyboard, over the Return key] is use for an OR condition.

((A=B) & (C=D)).   A equals B AND C equals D

((A=B) | (C=D)).  A equals B OR C equals D

I'm experimenting since I can't seem to find any Vectorworks documentation explaining more complex formula functions. I cannot make "or" work in my formula. I get results, but they are not correct. I did find a way to write a nested if/then and it works.

=IF((D2=WIDTH), MIN(HEIGHT, LENGTH), IF((D2=HEIGHT), MIN(WIDTH, LENGTH), MIN(WIDTH, HEIGHT)))

This returns the middle value of the three values, which would be SO MUCH EASIER to do if only Vectorworks had a MEDIAN function.