Table & Chairs PIO needs ability to pull out chairs

Andy Broomell

Question

16 answers to this question

Richard Diehl actually commissioned me to create the Table and Chairs object for Vectorworks 8 and it has changed very little since then. There are so many things that could be added to it along with the chair position, like using a symbol based chair, place settings, table cloths, etc. It could certainly do with some love.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2021 at 2:31 PM, michaelk said:

@Andy Broomell  Will something like this* work?

That's pretty nifty! The "PushOut" parameter is exactly what I was picturing. Now if that could just be added to the default Table & Chairs tool so I still have on-the-fly control over other parameters like Table Shape, that would be great.

I also like that you can use any Symbol in your version.

I've been thinking about that.  I don't think it would be a big deal (famous last words) to add rectangular tables.  I've had a recent obsession with audience seating tools 🙂 so I thought about adding table ID labels and seating numbers.  And maybe an option to not have chairs go all the way around?

On 3/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Julian Carr said:

Richard Diehl actually commissioned me to create the Table and Chairs object for Vectorworks 8 and it has changed very little since then. There are so many things that could be added to it along with the chair position, like using a symbol based chair, place settings, table cloths, etc. It could certainly do with some love.

Would add to this:-

- Messy chairs

- 2D People in chairs (randomised or spacial figure)

20 minutes ago, Matt Overton said:

Would add to this:-

- Messy chairs

- 2D People in chairs (randomised or spacial figure)

Those are really fun ideas.

I just sent @Andy Broomell a Beta that does the push out feature with round, rectangular, and rounded rectangular tables.  I'll see if I can add messy and 2d people.  Do you have any 2D people drawings you'd like to see included?

It won't be as cool at Julian's tool, but it's fun to work on 🙂

Create Classes doesn't do anything yet.

If you uncheck Create Default Symbol and the file doesn't have the symbol Oz Cafe Chair and you don't have another symbol specified for the chair, then it won't create the symbol Oz Cafe Chair.

If you uncheck it in preferences before the first use in a drawing, then it won't create the Oz Cafe Chair and no chairs will be inserted until you specify one.  If I keep working on it, Create Classes will be very similar, except the default will be off.

• Like 2

Here's a new version of that tool.  It calms down the messy seating mode a bit and allows for any symbol to be used for any chair.  So you can have different symbols on different sides or even right next to each other on the same side.  Or you can have "missing" chairs.

Goofing around with this makes me really appreciate how well written the "stock" Table and Chairs tool is.  (Nice work @Julian Carr!). I obviously haven't figured out his secret to making the spacing between chairs look natural.

I'm going to let it rest for a minute and see if the chair spacing solution makes itself known.  If anyone else finds this tool useful and has any requests, let me know.  If I can do it when fixing the chair spacing I will. 🙂 

Table Seating 2.1.vwx Table Seating 2.1 v2017.vwx Table Seating.vso

• Like 4