VW 8.5.2 Stone and Shingle Hatch

Kevin

In drawing exterior elevations, how do I show the various cladding materials such as stone or shingle. I do not see these in the hatch folder.

The Cultured Stone company has a program called Stone Cad which has many stone pattern fills. It exports these to a .dxf file which I cannot figure how to use.

Jim;Thank you for your input. I went to the Vectordepot site and downloaded the files that you sugested. Apparently they are in a newer version, 9.0 or higher. I cannot open them in VW 8.5.2.

I find it hard to believe that hundreds or thousands of architects are using Vectorworks and are unable to show a shingle wall or a stone veneer wall. Is this ability really not part of the program? I see examples of other peoples drawings that show a richly detailed exterior elevation with all the materials shown. How is it that they are able to do this?

Kevin, In VW 8, there are a number of Architectural hatches included. If you go to the Resources Palette and double click on Toolkit>Architectural>Hatches>Hatches_AEC.mcd , you will get a listing of the Architectural hatches you can use to apply to your 2d drawings.

If you have RenderWorks, there are a few textures in VW/RW 8 that would allow you to give the look of shingles and stone to 3d objects.

VW 9 has many of the same hatches and then some in the Architect Industry Series as well as the Landmark Industry Series which can be applied to 2d objects.

RenderWorks 9 includes an extensive listing of textures that resemble stone and shingles which can be applied to 3d objects for rendering.

RenderWorks also allows you to create your own textures from image files - if you find a great picture of stone or whatever that you would like to throw on your 3d drawings, you can create a texture out of it and map it to your 3d objects.

However, if you only draw in 2d, then hatches are about all you can work with. You may find a hatch you are looking for in the Hatches.mcd file included in VW 8.

You can also create your own hatch. Please reference the User's Manual for information pertaining to creating your own hatch pattern.

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie;Thank you for such a thorough reply. I have used the supplied hatches that you refer to; tile, brick, wood patterns. But if I understand correctly, there are no hatches for stone, shingle, barrel roof tile.

I have used the textures in Renderworks and they work great. I have also imported textures from outside sources with equally good sucess. I used a stone texture from Stone Cad. But of course these are of no value in the creation of 2d working drawings.

Do you know of a way to convert a VW 9.0 hatch for use in VW 8.5.2. Those hatches in Vectordepot may be just what I need, but they will not open in VW 8.5.2.

As far as using the hatch creation tool, how can I create the curves of flagstone or barrel roof tile? From what I can understand, the hatch creation uses straight lines.

If you or anyone has a source for VW 8.5.2 compatible hatches I would be interested. As I said previously, there must be an awful lot of architects out there with the same question and problem that I have.

Kevin, Those hatches were all drawn with straight lines. If you look closely, you will see they are straight lines that have been adjusted with the hatched editor and places very carefully.

Unfortunately, I cannot convert the files to VW 8 for you - I am capable of doing it, but rules and regulations, and without permission of the author of the hatches, I (an employee) can't do it for you.

Maybe someone out there is willing to convert it for you and send it off to you, or perhaps the author is reading and can do it for you.

When I am doing elevations for my working drawings I do 2 things: I create a rendered bitmap of the model using the bitmap tool and then I create a copy hidden line drawing. I then overlay these 2 views (they are to scale) with the hidden line drawing in front to create my elevations. This technique gives elevations that are to scale, show shadow, and use textures which I find easy to create for stone, etc... Hope this gives you another option.

Katie;Thank you for your replies, and for working late. It seems to me a very daunting task to create something like a barrel roof tile hatch using small straight lines. It is probably something that would take much too much time to figure out and execute.

I appreciate the thoughts on converting the files. If anyone can do this, it would be wonderful. My email is kschley@cox.net.

Davis Design;Your idea sounds interesting. I will give it a try. It seems to me though that this will create a very large file size.

How do you blueprint these images? My experience with greyscale in working drawings is that the exposure in blueprinting is critical. Too light or too dark and the image does not come out. For this reason I avoid it.

My preference is to stick to hatches where the linework is black or white and the file sizes are of a reasonable size.

I do use Renderworks and textures for color inkjet renderings for presentations. I have imported .jpg images with sucess too. My next step is to try using the digital camera to capture and import image textures. But for now my interest is producing black and white elevations for working drawings. I use multiple materials on my projects and it would be much more effective to show those materials graphically instead of just a note with an arrow pointing to a wall.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin,

You are right- the files do get quite large but I don't find this a problem. When I go to print I convert the page into either a postscript or pdf file which I email to a printing service (Ikon document services) and they deliver back the bluelines. The quality of the greyscales on the bluelines/ blacklines is excellent- I think you will find your elevations will have a much better sense of materiality than using hatches (I've been there) especially because of the shadows. It is important to set the right lighting before you generate your bitmap (I usually only use one light source approximating the sun aimed toward the face that I am creating the elevation from)- you will be able to tell after the bitmap is generated whether it is ok because although the print is greyscale, it will look very similar. Also make sure your bitmap prefferences are set to generate a final quality rendering. Thom

I purchased a Vectorworks add on called "Motivo" about two year ago that is great for creating hatches. You simply draw the hatch, select it, and the Program creates a hatch for you. Its very fast, and gives you a lot of control. Nemetshek should consider adding a similar feature to Vectorworks- it would be a great improvement.

Coincidentally, one of the examples that comes with "Motivo" is a tile roof hatch.

• 5 years later...

Having any kind of (even) simple stone hatch should be standard on any drafting program, after half a day of searching on the net I find it impossible to locate an adequate hatch. How VWs have managed to arrive at this stage without having a stone hatch is beyond me.

Disappointed

Jimmy

You can achieve a stone layout using the Tile menu in the Architect and Landmark packages. I do not recall whether the Architect 1.0.1 with VW 8 has this or not.

In addition, VW 2008 has a whole host of Unilock hatch patterns, including many varietal flagstone patterns.

Having any kind of (even) simple stone hatch should be standard on any drafting program, after half a day of searching on the net I find it impossible to locate an adequate hatch. How VWs have managed to arrive at this stage without having a stone hatch is beyond me.

Disappointed

Jimmy

Dear me. In my 30 years as an architect, I've not needed any kind a "stone hatch" ever. How I've managed to arrive at this stage is beyond me.

Nevertheless, I have to pay for all these stone and shingle hatches & textures VW has...

Frustrated

Petri

• 11 months later...

I'm brand new to this post and have had a poke around in the hopes that I could find a shingle hatch. I did happen across some great stone hatches. It appears as though there are a number of us that have hopes of securing a shingle hatch and from the sounds of it, creating your own sounds like an adventure. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Graeme