Clip Cube Viewports

OK this is driving me bonkers... 

When I create a VP from a CC, the objects outside of the CC are shown. I must be missing some Easter egg nano-triangle setting buried somewhere... 

I'm checking the right boxes:

1183980607_ScreenShot2021-03-10at9_13_29PM.thumb.png.35a1fc451e327f2d0b068281f9e8a28c.png

Here's a view of the CC:

16020066_ScreenShot2021-03-10at9_11_20PM.thumb.png.687c1cbc37a42414c7f6ec89e230a63e.png

Here's what it looks like on the VP (and, yes, I updated the VP):

350297195_ScreenShot2021-03-10at9_10_42PM.thumb.png.c003d5d65a95827dcb5cd1873f5e0641.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Thanks @Tom W.

OK so because Hidden Line isn't compatible with Clip Cubes (not even on the DL) my workaround options so far are:

• Create 3-4 sections for each object (front, left, right, iso) + a plan VP for top view
    • Please kill me
  • Create a new layer for each object (so much for the Lighting layer that's now merged with other departments)
    • So far, I like this one the best because I can Create Multiple Viewports, so it's the fewest clicks (and no sections for elevations)

Who's come up with a better workaround?

I'm not 100% clear what the end result is you're looking to achieve. Or what role the clip cube is playing. The screenshots look like orthogonal sections so could just be created using 'Create Section Viewport...'? Otherwise to get a 3D clip cube viewport in something resembling Hidden Line render all I can think of is rendering it in 'Lines + Shadow' (Artistic Renderworks) + setting the shadow colour to white + making the edge thickness quite thin... and setting DPI quite high...

• Like 1

They're ortho elevations + an iso which is why it's so ridickydonk that I have to create a section for each elevation:

1. Clip Cube section for front elevation
  2. Clip Cube section for right elevation
  3. Clip Cube section for left elevation
  4. Plan view for top
  5. Iso view for iso (but then I have to add extraneous classes to hide objects obstructing the view)

Maximum effort. Stupid. Worth it.

The frustrating thing is that CC sections are using Hidden Line attributes (without revealing objects outside the clip cube). Am I missing an obvious workaround like using the Section Class attributes for non-section CC VP's somehow? Whatever I'm doing is 10,000 times more complicated than it should be.

Here's a WIP:

482526563_ScreenShot2021-03-11at12_10_29AM.thumb.png.efcfe5182e3dd4c54ca63bc46c621e9d.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

It's not quite clear what you are wanting and what the problem is.

Is it that you want to use the clip cube to isolate an object and then create an isometric view of it by itself, in hidden line?

Having just tried, I can see that the "clip cube" extents work in the viewport if it's OpenGL but not if it's hidden line. Which I can see is annoying (because it seems like if I create a section viewport, then I can render it in hidden line and it *will* respect the clip cube extents).

If the question is how to isolate a single object, then one method I sometimes use is to make it a symbol. Then one instance is in the model, and another instance is somewhere else (on a different design layer say) and you can then use that instance to generate your elevations etc. This is potentially less fiddly than trying to isolate it using class or layer visibility.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

without overcomplicating it with redundancy

A tertiary organization system such as tags sounds exactly like overcomplicating the software to me 😉 

9 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Is it intended behaviour that the clip cube doesn't affect the visibility of stuff in a hidden line isometric vport I wonder?

Indeed, apparently there's some technical limitation with the Hidden Line engine that disallows Clip Cube from working, sadly. THIS is where the improvement should be made, rather than adding tags.

For now, utilizing Classes, Layers, and/or Symbols should get the job done.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

A tertiary organization system such as tags sounds exactly like overcomplicating the software to me 😉 

Compared to adding extraneous layers, classes and symbols purely to control visibility, then yes. I have to export DWG's for collaborators, so I try to keep the file as minimalist as possible for everyone on my team.

Also, if you don't want to use tags, then don't (they're optional).