Vectorworks/ Lightwright Load Balancing

BenJ

Don't know if VW has a way of handling this, but Lightwright 6 absolutely does though it takes a bit of work to set up.  If you go to Setup - Dimming & Control, you can build a line item for each of your racks.  From there, click the "Details..." button for the line item to open it and configure it.  That's where you'll put in the circuit information (dimmer #, Type, Voltage, and phasing).  There is also a column for current load based on what devices use the circuit.  Once the phasing is filled out, an "Auto Balance" button becomes available in the lower left hand corner.  Pressing that will repatch the rack for balanced loads.  You will want to also set up your mults and distribution by going to Maintenance - Circuit Name.  This is where you'll specify your mults (which rack they're tied to, how many circuits, and what the starting dimmer is).

The big thing that you'll need to do before running the command is to tie those fixtures to the circuit by either giving them a "dummy" dimmer number or by filling in the Circuit Name column after tying it to the rack.

Once all of that is done, re-sync to VW and you'll have decently balanced loads.  LW can also pull handy reports from this information once it's all set up.

How does this work when it comes to fixtures being 2fer'd, 3fer'd or jumped via powercon? I'd ask over on the LW forum too but it doesn't seem to have as much foot traffic as the VW forum. 

My example - I have (1) 24 way 208 distro with (4) soca outputs. I set up circuit names and what fixtures goes to each one, however when I go to auto balance is says "not everything would fit". Is it trying to do a 1-1 patch? The rigs consists of around 50 lights including auras, CF 12s, CF 48s and mythos so there is more than enough power.