Drawing Label Options Missing VWX 2021

trashcan

Question

4 answers to this question

A lot of the visual options are now tied to the Object Style.  When you drop in a Drawing Label object, VW automatically creates a "red symbol" object style in your Resource Manager in a folder named "Drawing Label Styles."  In the OIP, you'll see a pop-up menu called "Style," clicking this will allow you convert it to "Unstyled" (to unlock the Edit Drawing Label Layout button), or to edit the style directly.

If you want some different options (such as Drawing and Sheet number as opposed to just Drawing number), there are a bunch of defaults in the library in Object Styles - Drawing Labels to cover what you need.

This is part of a huge push in VW to use object styles for a greater level of customization.  A lot of older tools have now been replaced by the Data Tag tool utilizing these styles.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about this, and it's one of the reasons that I primarily am still working in VW2019.  On the one hand, it opens a ton of flexibility in terms of visual design and standardization.  On the other hand, it involves a lot of micromanaging and adds a ton of symbols to the Resource Manager.  Personally, it's much faster for me to use the original tool (same goes for the Title Block system introduced in VW2018, I can edit a title block with a double click, tab through and edit fields, and press enter on the old system in the time it takes the Title Block Manager dialog to even open).

If you want the old tool, you can find it in the Workspace Editor in the "Legacy" category.  Keep in mind that there is a risk that the tool will be retired in upcoming versions of VW, so if it's a drawing that will have a longer lifetime, it might be best to grin and bear the clutter of object styles.

• Like 1