controling lighting?

I design furniture and everytime I add texture(wood) it is hard to see the grain and color of the wood. I know it probably has something to do with the lighting but I am somewhat unfamilar with how to approach it. Can you please help.

Oh yea, When I print why does the viewing plane print as well, how do I turn it off for printing?

Thanks

Depending on which wood texture you use, you can edit the actual texture to achieve desired results. If you use wood textures from the wood.mcd file, you can edit the grain appearance of these wood textures.

From the resource palette, select your current drawing. Then select the wood texture you wish to edit. Click on the Edit button to the right. An edit texture dialog box will appear. Under the section "Shaders" is a Color option. Click on the Edit button below Color and you will get an edit color dialog box. You can now edit the various aspects of the grain and fuzz the texture image has. Any changes you make will update in the current drawing when you render the drawing next.