Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Automated layer creation

gawad

So when I design I have a set system for my design layers that I use. I want to know if there is a way that I can automate the creation of them for when I open up a file that I need to design in. Below is the list of Design layers that I use.

HOUSE
[HOU] - Seating
[HOU] - Stage
[HOU] - Building
-
ELECTRICS
[ELX] - Reference
[ELX] - Special
[ELX] - Follow Spots
[ELX] - SR Side Wash
[ELX] - SL Side Wash
[ELX] - Front Wash 1
[ELX] - Front Wash 2
[ELX] - Top Wash 1
[ELX] - Top Wash 2
[ELX] - Back Wash 1
[ELX] - Back Wash 2
[ELX] - Practical
[ELX] - SFX + Atmospherics
[ELX] - Grid
[ELX] - Lighting Positions
[ELX] - Circuits
--
SENIC
[SEN] - Set 2D
[SEN] - Set 3D
[SEN] - Ground Plan
[SEN] - Flys
---
REFFERENCE
[REF] - Notes
[REF] - Reference
[REF] - Other
----
MISC
[MSC] - Title Block
[MSC] - Instrument Key
[MSC] - Other

• 1 month later...

i try to hijack that thread with my own idea of automating layers etc. so here it is:

Workflow Wishlist Connectcad:

Room List for an new project will be provided via Excel > create Layers + sheets + „Rooms“@Rack Elevation

the Room List will be provided via Excel and transferred into a worksheet inside VWX

running a script to create Layers (duplicate a master and rename it as often as needed) named after the Room Numbers provided via Worksheet

running a script to create Sheets (duplicate a master and rename it as often as needed) named after the Room Names provided via Worksheet

running a script to create Rooms @Rack Elevation Layer ( (duplicate a master and rename it as often as needed) named after the Layers created before

all stacking order needs to be the same

the Room List could contain up to seven columns:

1: Building

2: Elevation

3: Room Number

4: Room Name

5: Purpose

6: Description

7: annotations

DesignLayers

Layer = Worksheet

Name = Room Number

Description = Description

Elevation = Elevation

Tag = Pupose

SheetLayer

Sheets = LayerName

Rooms@RackElevation = LayerName

is this possible via script or do i better delete the whole idea? 

For a simple standard a basic file or template as mentioned earlier is the way to go.

If you need it to be more flexible with additional data, or generic from a source like Excell yes a script is a good option. It should be possible iterating all the cells from a Worksheet and do something with it.

14 minutes ago, Hippocode said:

For a simple standard a basic file or template as mentioned earlier is the way to go.

If you need it to be more flexible with additional data, or generic from a source like Excell yes a script is a good option. It should be possible iterating all the cells from a Worksheet and do something with it.

For sure i know the "template way" 

using a script for that task will save up to 6 hours or even more setting up a new project every week.

the additional data input is essential. today i was facing  a project including 317 Rooms. (317 worksheet rows...)

Edited by Thomas K.

Well how I see it this is about two main functions.

• You need to automate the creation of certain objects (layers, rooms, sheets)
  • You need to update the data of these objects. I'd assume this external info could change during the project development like updating room names.

The input for both could be based from Excell or a Worksheet (imported Excell) or any input dialog whatever fits your needs.

Both can be done with Vectorscript. A lot can go wrong so It'll be trial and error to develop this.

FYI, I'm working on a new plug-in that allows you to export object data (for instance all rooms with their name, custom parameters etc) to Excell. Modify or append this data in Excell and import it back into the drawing, updating all these objects with the new data.

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 1:44 PM, Hippocode said:

FYI, I'm working on a new plug-in that allows you to export object data (for instance all rooms with their name, custom parameters etc) to Excell. Modify or append this data in Excell and import it back into the drawing, updating all these objects with the new data.

Any news regarding that type of plug-in? I am still on the road to find an "easy" way to get all that project data into my file to get the same data to these different positions.

2 hours ago, Thomas K. said:

Any news regarding that type of plug-in? I am still on the road to find an "easy" way to get all that project data into my file to get the same data to these different positions.

It will be part of the VectorMEP 2022 release which should be available during September 2021.