Round Wall S-Curve Joints / Seams

Ha ha! Hidden Line is a pain

When you say you think it works in OpenGL I wasn't sure what you meant... But it got me thinking about how you'd represent a vertical seam in a texture. So I played around with the 'Edit Texture' settings + using the 'Tile' color shader came up with this:

2016177041_Screenshot2021-03-06at21_35_49.thumb.png.dd1e8e00e56862e11fd1929186e937f5.png

A bit hit + miss + not very precise geometrically. Are there other options?

Out of interest @markdd have you ever made your own texture from a photo you took? I'd be interested in creating my own brick/stone textures as I've yet to find anything online representative of the types of walls we have here in Norfolk. Is it worth having a go?

On 3/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, Landartma said:

Mark you used and extrude correct?  Can that be turned into a wall style?  I didn't think that possible.

I modified a wall style for the traditional wall components, and then the extrudes are separate from that. The 2D arc's are guides I used to manually input and measure 5' along the arc length. This was the most painful part, especially if there's a revision... 

Another reason why I abandon walls at the first sight of things getting complicated, and spend my time modelling stuff directly instead of fighting the wall tool.

You can see it's also inserted the jambs parallel to the centreline of the door rather than perpendicular to the wall faces. Maybe you'd choose to do that sometimes, but not necessarily.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, line-weight said:

You can see it's also inserted the jambs parallel to the centreline of the door rather than perpendicular to the wall faces. Maybe you'd choose to do that sometimes, but not necessarily.

I'm not sure how perpendicular to the wall arc would work in real life. Seems like the jamb would either be too wide in the center to stop the leaf from swinging or too narrow on the other side to allow the leaf to close.

5 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I'm not sure how perpendicular to the wall arc would work in real life. Seems like the jamb would either be too wide in the center to stop the leaf from swinging or too narrow on the other side to allow the leaf to close.

The immediate frame and stop would need to be perpendicular to the door leaf but you might want the casing/framing to the wall opening to be perpendicular to the wall faces. Something like what's illustrated here

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/documentation/developer_docs/BasicLibraryDoc/10/Window-Macros/DoorThresholdTrim.html

and the equivalent for windows here

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/documentation/developer_docs/BasicLibraryDoc/11/Window-Macros/CavityClosure.html

(there are some tantalising illustrations of Archicad apparently doing what VW is absolutely hopeless at... inserting doors and windows into walls in a way that bears some resemblance to real world construction)

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

@line-weight wow, those details are exquisite! I'm ruined!

Is your solution to extrude / model all of that stuff, use another app, or... ?

I think if I was drawing a door opening in a curved wall in any kind of detail then yes I'd model it all probably including the wall itself, because I don't think there would be any other option.

If it's the case that Archicad can generate all those opening details parametrically then it just shows how far behind Vectorworks is. And it certainly makes me wonder why I've just paid VW going on for a month's worth of income to upgrade my licence to a version that still hasn't fixed any of this kind of stuff at all.

The ones on the Archicad pages look like they are mainly showing openings in masonry walls. And anyone who put a bit of thought into how an opening would be made into a masonry wall would realise that because you are building the wall from units with 90 degree corners, that's one reason that at least part of the opening would be formed perpendicular to the wall face. But the VW tools are barely related to constructional reality.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 2

I agree with @line-weight. There is a real problem with the difference between the way doors/windows display in 2D + the way they display in 3D. In the example here, you can create a custom door symbol that incorporates a wall hole component that will clip the wall to the desired shape (i.e. with the reveals perpendicular to the curve of the wall rather than perpendicular to the door) + it will look the way you want it in 3D. But there is no way to have the walls display anything other than square to the door in Top/Plan. I even tried using 'Create Wall Recess' instead of the wall hole component to clip the hole in the wall (as this would have shown up in Top/Plan) but in curved walls it just crashed VW every time I tried! So to achieve the kinds of 2D details in curved walls as shown in the Archicad screenshots you'd have to model the wall as well as the door, rather than use the wall tool.

3D:

1667012044_Screenshot2021-03-10at11_47_01.thumb.png.dbfcb5ce155ce27ce02c0cc3252bbf54.png54212390_Screenshot2021-03-10at11_46_32.thumb.png.f44c9e0e796a5a6f7f1684406b8df132.png

Horizontal section:

420445000_Screenshot2021-03-10at11_45_32.thumb.png.227e9501d5ba244080762f08d57f290d.png

Top/Plan:

1577114957_Screenshot2021-03-10at11_45_49.thumb.png.a946b856a49dc7982169aafa93467273.png

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 2