Round Wall S-Curve Joints / Seams

Right off the bat, if there’s some way to modify the default behavior of creating a new object whenever an arc switches back… be it a polyline or a wall, that’s my solution right there.

Ultimately, what I’m trying to accomplish is a mostly round wall that S-curves (that’s the easy part). The client has spec’d a brushed metal finish that will come off a 5’ wide roll, and the joints / seams should be butted (flush finish; no gap).

Must-have: show where the joints / seams are in Hidden Line view in the drawing set (for both the client and the GC)

Nice-to-have: show the joints / seams in OpenGL

I’ve almost solved it by turning off auto-join wall, starting and stopping each wall at 5’ length along the arc… except for what I mentioned above in the first sentence when the 5’ wide panel is not continuous along the same arc (makes an S-curve):

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.25.16 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

modify the default behavior of creating a new object whenever an arc switches back… be it a polyline or a wall,

If I understand this right - the problem is that when you join two "round walls" together, meeting at a tangent and so on, hidden line rendering draws a line at the join, where there shouldn't be one (and OpenGL draws it correctly)?

To me, that's a problem with the behaviour of hidden line rendering, rather than with the behaviour of the wall objects as such, if you see what I mean.

I come up against this now and again where hidden line draws a line between wall objects that are supposed to be joined. Sometimes it just won't go away and I have to messily blank it out in vport annotations.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

I think I would probably abandon the wall tool for something like this and do it as a series of extrudes.

But I imagine you want it to be a wall so you can put doors etc in it?

570207949_Screenshot2021-03-05at19_01_25.thumb.jpg.8039a1be1bc1720788d521ac1d8a8821.jpg985334497_Screenshot2021-03-05at19_01_18.thumb.jpg.16b02327fe67b9df4ed566b9596602e3.jpg

You can see the same thing happening with the extrudes where they join. It seems to be an object agnostic global display issue.

Edited by Mark Aceto
15 hours ago, line-weight said:

If I understand this right - the problem is that when you join two "round walls" together, meeting at a tangent and so on, hidden line rendering draws a line at the join, where there shouldn't be one (and OpenGL draws it correctly)?

I understand it the other way,

It should display Lines where the Arcs switch direction

(or even when same alined Arcs start a new radius ?)

I think there is a setting in HL that will hide Lines between separate,

but coplanar, elements of same Material.

Or show separating lines, when deactivated ?

EDIT,

No ! @lineweightwas right, saw it in the other Thread.

So maybe activating that Setting would help ....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, line-weight said:

To me, that's a problem with the behaviour of hidden line rendering, rather than with the behaviour of the wall objects as such, if you see what I mean.

I come up against this now and again where hidden line draws a line between wall objects that are supposed to be joined. Sometimes it just won't go away and I have to messily blank it out in vport annotations.

Yes, that’s the issue. I thought I saw a solution somewhere in the forums, tweaking the crease value or something… maybe on a round wall / door post… I’ll keep digging but I think there’s a magic number somewhere that solves it.

1 minute ago, zoomer said:

I think there is a setting in HL that will hide Lines between separate,

but coplanar, elements of same Material.

Or show separating lines, when deactivated ?

The HL settings on the DL don’t solve it but maybe an advanced setting on a SLVP somewhere?

Not sure,

I found that setting in 2015 or so,

when I had 2 separate Walls in a line, because of different heights.

At that times the unwanted separating line between them went away.

But I think it is pretty likely that rounded walls behave a bit different ...

(I was pretty disappointed when first using rounded Walls,

that my inserted Window isn't rounded too 😁 )

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Landartma said:

If I understand you're trying to get the curve you want with a seem that meets up with a prefab piece of material correct and that seem does not line up with the seem of the wall?

Exactly! I started out by using wall components but even though I can set the top and bottom height of the interior finish (the brushed metal), I still need to show 5’ panels of prefab material. Otherwise, it just looks like 1 continuous seamless panel. I also need everyone to approve where the seams land in real life. As long as I can accomplish this in HL, I’m good to go.

1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

You can see the same thing happening with the extrudes where they join. It seems to be an object agnostic global display issue.

No - if you look carefully, I've made the "seam" not at the point where the curves transition into one another - it's deliberately in the middle of one of the curves.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, line-weight said:

No - if you look carefully, I've made the "seam" not at the point where the curves transition into one another - it's deliberately in the middle of one of the curves.

Ah, you’re right—that’s it!

Here’s a screenshot of some test runs I did last night with EAP, and I just increased the smoothing angle. So I can use the round wall tool for the load bearing wall itself, and then EAP the interior finish. I have to EAP a channel for LX anyway, so I’ll just make all the joints at 5’ with 1 profile 😄

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 1.21.49 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

That's how I'd do it too. I'd draw the structural wall as a Wall. Then draw the metal sheets in plan in front of it + extrude vertically 

But I'm interested in whether this wall is timber studs with curved plates + ply bent over it - and the metal glued to it?

Or is it masonry with battens to fix the metal to?

Can you tell I'm a builder? 😊

• Like 1

@line-weight in the end, because the shape I received is such a lumpy spine from Cinema—but there are so many other pieces being built that will attach to it—I just extracted the face from the mesh I received, and extruded that. I tried converting the poly to a wall but it created 378 wall objects from 1 poly.

Super bummed I won’t be using wall styles, components, materials for the drawing set but oh well… 

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 3.38.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 3.38.34 PM.png

825150464_ScreenShot2021-03-05at4_08_49PM.thumb.png.8d359dafdcec96a46c690b2fdd7d3da8.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Update: everything I hoped to accomplish is done!

Can’t wait to determine the actual components, so I can revise the wall style. Also can’t wait (sarcasm warning) for the client to slide the 5’ panels 1” to the left (could be a great case for using a decal for making quick attribute mapping adjustments).

This is what I love about the forum—thanks to everyone that helped me get this across the finish line!

1756193804_ScreenShot2021-03-05at7_05_39PM.thumb.png.3dd856bf2354eecc3807f8714c0cfb07.png

446904943_ScreenShot2021-03-05at7_01_16PM.thumb.png.12acd00a8690ddc28007f1aee7b10f9f.png

1474652956_ScreenShot2021-03-05at7_17_34PM.thumb.png.14535d60a80820ce75a27a1d7bce016d.png

1921457307_ScreenShot2021-03-05at7_02_32PM.thumb.png.05ab4d6594bc08636081ad5d8b26e4d7.png

1238999095_ScreenShot2021-03-05at7_14_30PM.thumb.png.4c86d5f5edc7ad599f3d0b3a297c7978.png

• Like 4