Does Vw Architect have a preformatted report for the Wall Tool?

Hello,

Landmark user here. I am curious if the Architect license has a preformatted report for Walls created using the Wall Tool. That would be very useful for me for the walls we build in Landmark. I'm just curious if your license comes with that. Landmark does not.

ALSO - I found a page in the Help Menu called "Worksheet tutorial: Creating a wall schedule" that shows how to create a worksheet that displays the Wall Area (gross), Wall Area (net), and Wall Thickness. Is there a way to display Face Feet? That is what I'm trying to extract from my wall.

Thanks!

Anna

Edited by yasin2ray

@yasin2ray the 'WallArea_Gross' or 'WallArea_Net' functions will return the 2D surface area of the interior + exterior faces of your walls in whatever unit is specified in File>Document Settings>Units... If you're working in feet + inches anyway it should return the area in sq feet automatically. If you're working in metres but for whatever reason want to report the wall area in sq ft then type '*10.764' after the formula in the worksheet to have the sqm value converted to sqft. 

That's my understanding of how these things work at least!

@Tom W. 

9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

@yasin2ray the 'WallArea_Gross' or 'WallArea_Net' functions will return the 2D surface area of the interior + exterior faces of your walls in whatever unit is specified in File>Document Settings>Units... If you're working in feet + inches anyway it should return the area in sq feet automatically. If you're working in metres but for whatever reason want to report the wall area in sq ft then type '*10.764' after the formula in the worksheet to have the sqm value converted to sqft. 

That's my understanding of how these things work at least!

Actually, you can work in feet and inches while reporting areas as square meters.  This is done in the units setting for the document, there are options for expressing volume and area in addition to linear measures... they can all be different.  The trick to getting it to appear in the spreadsheet without using math, is to format the row or column to report "Dimension Area" in the case of a cell reporting area.  Vectorworks then uses the units set for the document and described earlier.  Best part, it adds the "sq m" on it's own without you having to configure a suffix/trailing text or do math in the cell.  Just be sure to recalculate the worksheet if you want to avoid confusion and heartache 🙂

1660080982_ScreenShot2021-03-06at10_05_04AM.thumb.png.03fc1d1c318fc7fc760731900e429893.png

• Like 1

@jeff prince 100% agree. In the 'Units' settings you can set your length units to metres + your area units to square feet if you want, + the worksheet will report accordingly, if you want all your area values in the document to be in square feet. 

Out of interest, in the US do you use ever use metric? As you can probably imagine over here we use a bit of both but metric for most things these days... 

@Tom W. 

2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@jeff prince 100% agree. In the 'Units' settings you can set your length units to metres + your area units to square feet if you want, + the worksheet will report accordingly, if you want all your area values in the document to be in square feet. 

Out of interest, in the US do you use ever use metric? As you can probably imagine over here we use a bit of both but metric for most things these days... 

I rarely use metric in the US.  My Military and Federal government projects use it.  It's not accepted in commercial or residential work though.  All of our building materials and standards are expressed in the imperial system typically.  Projects abroad can be a little funny.  We will work in metric, but some materials are described in imperial due to supplier specifications.  Think board feet, some fasteners, some pool/irrigation/lighting equipment.  Wish we were metric over here, it's so much easier, especially when doing calculations for both construction and science.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, Tom W. said:

@yasin2ray the 'WallArea_Gross' or 'WallArea_Net' functions will return the 2D surface area of the interior + exterior faces of your walls

Plus there are the 'CompAreaByName' + 'CompAreaByClass' functions which will return the surface area of one side of a wall component rather than both sides of the wall if your walls have components

1510936196_Screenshot2021-04-19at19_35_33.thumb.png.781550d0236191c703a2f6013a4f7dbd.png

(To be honest I'm not actually sure how you'd return the area of a wall in plan had you wanted to do this... Maybe multiply Length by WallThickness?)