Section Line

michael john williams

Question

Section Lines. When using the Section Line tool in a design layer to create a section in a viewport the section lines also appear in the elevations and sections and 3D views. The section line has its own class. This class is turned off and display planar objects is unticked in the viewport and section line instances is also unticked for these particular viewports. They don't appear if the viewport is in hidden line but appear in Open GL and renderworks.

I can't get rid of the section lines. Any help appreciated. Thanks

14 answers to this question

Do you have a linked Section Viewport using those Section Lines?  If so, navigate to the Viewport and click on the Section Line Instances in the OIP.  Uncheck any of the places you don't want it to be.  I've always used this method rather than classing it out, so I'm not sure if the Section Line Instances will override the class visibilities in a viewport, but it is certainly worth trying.

Presumably this is just one file this is happening in? Have you restarted VW? 

If you have a file with objects in it you can't select + edit (in this case delete) that's pretty serious + sounds like you need to take abortive action but not something I've had direct experience of I'm afraid, other than restarting VW + that making things better again...

@Pat Stanford will have some ideas

On 3/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, michael john williams said:

section line instances is also unticked for these particular viewports.

19 hours ago, michael john williams said:

I had already checked that the section line instances are not ticked for these particular viewports but unfortunately it did not work. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Michael,

I got your file and see that the section lines are in the "A Line-0.13" class.  Turing that class off for viewports you don't want to see them in corrects the problem for me.  Please let me know if this is not what you're seeing.

Thanks Matt.

I had thought I had turned off the section line class in the vps. Thanks for checking and finding I had not. Having said that I had thought if you turned off the vp in section line instances the section line would disappear? Also if you turn off display planar objects in the object info the section line would again disappear?

I have a dedicated class for section lines called 'refs'. Obviously there are times when you use the wrong class. In this instance I change from classes to refs and, as I have found before, a funny symbol in red comes up in red 'c i c' at the end of the section line. This red symbol is seen in the design layer and viewport plans. Is there away of getting red of this symbol?

17 minutes ago, michael john williams said:

Having said that I had thought if you turned off the vp in section line instances the section line would disappear?

Also you should be able to select the section line in the VP annotations + hit delete to get rid of it. You said hitting delete was having no effect

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, michael john williams said:

Having said that I had thought if you turned off the vp in section line instances the section line would disappear?

Actually they do.  However, I noticed some duplicate Section Lines in the design layers that are not connected to (ie: defining) the viewport.  These can be selected and deleted if you don't need them.  You can tell which do not define viewports by selecting them and looking at the Object /Info palette.  If it has a "Create Section Viewport" button, it does not define one, if it has a "Navigate to Viewport" button, it does.

Also if you turn off display planar objects in the object info the section line would again disappear?

I'm not sure, but I think this has something to do with how the object is implemented in VW 2020 where it creates 3D geometry rather than planar.    The good news is that the new Section-Elevation Line object in VW 2021 does not have this issue.

I have a dedicated class for section lines called 'refs'. Obviously there are times when you use the wrong class. In this instance I change from classes to refs and, as I have found before, a funny symbol in red comes up in red 'c i c' at the end of the section line. This red symbol is seen in the design layer and viewport plans. Is there away of getting red of this symbol?

That symbol is a screen graphic of a "broken link".  This also means that a Section-Elevation Line is not linked to a viewport.  the graphic only shows on the screen and does not export or print.  There is no way to get rid of it aside from creating a viewport from the object.

BTW:  The Section-Elevation Line is now a stylable object in VW 2021 and can have a class "by style".  This is a great way to insure all objects of a particular style are placed in a specific class.

• Like 1