ConnectCAD radio mic RF connections/channel assignments - Best Practice

Hi,

New to ConnectCAD - I was wondering what the best practices are for making RF connections in ConnectCAD schematics. Showing them accurately/correctly in the schematic and perhaps scheduling channel assignments.

I am looking at using arrow connector types. With diversity I have A and B antenna but only showing connections to A for the moment.

Just wondering what people recommend and anything to look out for.

Help always appreciated.

Ross

Hi Ross,

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that is inherently unique about RF connections in ConnectCAD. The RF signal type and BNC connectors come default in the ConnectCAD parameters, so they are available to you without having to modify anything. Arrow connections should work just like any other device. I imagine a simple text note or callout next to the wireless receivers could help with relaying the band/group/channel info. Or (more advanced), if you want to get into user device parameters and custom headers for devices, you could create a wireless mic header using user parameters to show band/group/channel. Using device user parameters also allows you to generate reports with this band/group/channel info as well, which could be handy. Now of course, we can say what we want group and channel info to be, but on-site RF conditions might have something to say about our pre-determined choices :-). Anyhow, quick demo of what I describe above:

Take3.thumb.png.a8a428364d07d7f1c871f7361eca9e86.png

Edited by Eliot Hartzler
  • Like 1

This looks similar to what I have Eliot, thank you. I like the header information - I might just grab that!)

I note you are not showing the transmitters though.

I was just thinking about other wireless products that could come into play like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc in AV projects (e.g. lecture theatres). Beinagable to demonstrate which Tx/Rx devices are paired up would good too.

Thanks again for your input, really helpful.

R

• Like 1

Glad to help when I can!

Ahh, I see a little more into what you are thinking about now...

Yes, in quickly making the example above, I did leave out what to do with the Tx devices. So, let's bring those into the discussion! I'm doing system integration, and the case of wireless mics, I think often when I'm making the drawings of a system I may know that I have 2 beltpacks and 4 handhelds, but I don't necessarily know which receivers the client may want each on. If they are all the same model, then which Tx is paired with which Rx is somewhat interchangeable, so I just create the Tx devices and place them either in a "loose gear" section of my schematic, or in a group near my receivers on the schematic. But if you do know which Tx you want on each Rx, then I could think of a couple ways to note it.

Probably the most intuitive would be to place each Tx next to the corresponding Rx on the schematic. I think this would at least help with conveying intent, and it's simple. If you wanted to take it a step further, you could add another socket on the both the Tx and Rx and label it "RF", "Sync", or something else and draw a connection between the two. Now we know this may not be the real signal flow (might be going through a separate antenna and distro system, like above), but it would show which Tx is paired with which Rx. I suppose if you do that you could put your Tx anywhere on the schematic then...interesting thought...

Now for other wireless comms...I don't think I've really done much like this yet...but, some ideas...in the case of say a Bluetooth device, I might create a BT socket on each device and draw a connection between them. WiFi...maybe create a router with a WiFi socket and each connected device also gets a WiFi socket? A socket can have multiple connections, so maybe all the WiFi sockets on the devices connect to the WiFi socket on the router? Definitely up for discussion!

Thanks for bringing this up...it's intriguing to think through 🙂.

• Like 1

So I'm thinking this is the way to go (pretty much as you suggest too). This way the locations of the devices can be made clear.

Just not sure how I can stagger the multiple arrow connectors that connect to the single [wi-fi] socket so I can read them correctly. Any ideas?

30467481_RFconnections.thumb.png.89871fabb8a7080aa7d4bac91105c0a2.png

Yeah, I knew that stacking connections would be an issue when I suggested multiple connections to a single socket. The alternative option is to create a socket for each connecting device, which is a pain and doesn't really provide any more value. I think from an installers perspective, the piece of info that I care most about is the WiFi SSID connection ("Multi Radio Device Wi-Fi" in your example) that I'm supposed to connect my device (Laptops, above) to. I could probably make do with just ignoring the mess of multiple connection on my router.

However (for fun 🙂), if you do want to be able to see which devices are connected to the WiFi [socket], I can think of a couple possibilities. First option is to use data tags that display a circuit's source name, and attach one to each circuit and arrange as desired...data tags are a VW Designer tool though. Second option (maybe nicer looking, too?) is to create a custom report that pulls info from circuits that connect to the WiFi socket and displays the circuit source device name...this would show you which devices are connected to that [WiFi] socket. See example of multiple connections worksheet below:

1735765507_MultipleConnections.thumb.png.93ffc448b029a37c629de0e2b4106e23.png

• Like 1