Opengear-style Modular Frame

jking8

Hi everyone, 

I'm relatively new to ConnectCAD, but I'm really liking it so far.  I'm having some trouble figuring out how to include a modular device (similar to the OpenGear rackframe type of system with multiple vertical cards).  I have several Imagine Communication 6800 frames I'm hoping to include, but to then specify each card and its function in the design.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if I missed something obvious!

Best, 
James

Hey James,

On the schematic side of things, the rack frame can be created just like any other device, including any connections for the frame as a whole. When creating a card, make sure to change the settings in the device builder to make it a modular device.

733383739_DeviceBuilderCard.thumb.png.06bd1551c46c72f727981ccd447d4d70.png         

On the rack layout side of things, once you have a room and a rack established, you can use the rack frame tool in the layout tool set to make the equipment item version of your frame. In the properties for this tool, you can define elements about the frame, including number of slots. You can then place it in the rack.

1340015921_RackFrameTool.thumb.png.ae2791f9685d2671b37d21aec38a4559.png

Running the ConnectCAD>Layout>Update Rack Elevation (make sure you're on the schematic layer when you do so), will create the equipment item versions of your cards, which you can then drag into a slot on the rack frame. Here's my quick example setup. BTW, if you have created a schematic version of your rack frame, when you run the update rack elevation command an equipment item will be created for it, but I'm not sure it gives us the slot interaction that we need to place cards. Also, the cards on the schematic layer will update to show the room, rack, RU the frame is in, and the slot in the frame (the grey text in the devices below).

508928072_SchematicView.thumb.png.ad32edf133150fe4f179ec191f344fab.png            825099094_LayoutView.thumb.png.62f29848bf81d56013de824ffeaff9f7.png

Hope this helps.

• Like 3