Getting around in the design layer

@jeff prince I am pretty sure it has to do with my own misunderstanding of how things work with regards to origin placement, screen layer, layer plane, etc. I just recently discovered that there is an internal origin in addition to a user origin. I guess this all comes with being self-taught. I have been using VWX since it was MiniCAD.

Example:

If something is extruded, then moved and rotated, etc., if I copy the underlying polygon and paste it directly into the design layer, I assume it will land where it was originally created?

This is very challenging, at times, because the only way I can get the polygon back where I want it is to go and actually grab and move it to that location. I can't select it, cut it, and click on the desired location and have it paste there. It always lands somewhere else.

So, I know this probably seems self-evident, but it is best practice to have the user origin in the same location as the internal origin align, correct?

Additionally, where is the best place to locate the origin in sheet layer? Should it be directly on top of the internal origin on the design layer?

2 hours ago, Kennedyme said:

So, I know this probably seems self-evident, but it is best practice to have the user origin in the same location as the internal origin align, correct?

Additionally, where is the best place to locate the origin in sheet layer? Should it be directly on top of the internal origin on the design layer?

Not necessarily, it depends on what type of drawings you do and the data you use.  I'm a landscape architect that works with GIS, Architects, and Civil Engineers...so the user origin and internal origin are rarely the same for a variety of reasons.  When I make symbols or other resources to place in a design, I usually do this in a clean file with the geometry located at the coincidental user/internal origin.

I don't understand your comment about sheet layers.  The default is behavior places the orgin in the center of the page, this has nothing to do with the origin of the design layers depicted in a viewport.

In regards to your polygon problems... copy the polygon from wherever you are getting it.  click in the spot you want it placed.  use Paste instead of Paste in Place and it will drop the center of the object onto the place you clicked earlier.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help. With regards to the polygon issue, what you describe is exactly what I generally try to do. I have tried both paste in place as well as simply paste - after clicking on the desired location. Only inside 3d objects does this happen.

I guess it comes down to the fact that sometimes I have to get info from a coworkers file, or maybe one of my own that I have copied/moved objects around.

@Kennedyme if you enter the edit mode for an extrude that has been moved from it's original location + copy the original polygon for that extrude + paste in within the edit mode, then it will not be placed where you click the cursor, it will be offset from this position by the distance that the extrude was moved. Is this what you're describing? Pasting an extra polygon in the extrude edit mode will result in an extra extrude when you leave that edit mode not sure why you wouldn't just copy + paste the extrude

• Like 1

@jeff prince I've used it to modify 3D objects using the geometry from another object when I want to make sure the object shares the same geometry/dimensions. It has worked successfully when the original objects have been created in the same drawing, layer and general proximity. 

Now that I realize there is not a way to stop the underlying shapes from landing in their point of origin, I will be more cautious about when I do that.

@Kennedyme if this workflow of yours is frequent, one way to avoid the issue is to make your extrudes into symbols with insertion points at 0,0.  Copy the symbols around your drawing, rotate them, etc.  When it comes to editing them, your "paste in place" polylines will go where they are supposed to relative to their original orgin and orientation.  This even works with 3d symbols that have been rotated to be out of the xy plane.  This should solve your issue.

• Like 1