The Mystery of a Rectangle's Width and Height

willofmaine

Question

I've run a worksheet report on rectangles.  One of the rectangles (on an angle) is 19' wide by 1' high.  I know it's so because the OIP says so.  But the report returns the rectangle's 1' height as its width.  Why?!?!?!?!?!  Why are a rectangle's width and height such a mystery to Vectorworks?  Why does EVERY new thing I attempt in Vectorworks represent inexplicable difficulty and the need for a workaround or two???

9 answers to this question

@Pat Stanford apart from rectangles, which worksheets really do take the width and height from the object (it seems). @willofmaine"s rectangles are at an angle and I'm getting the same results.

The Object Information Palette of Rectangles swap the Width and and Height fields around when rectangle goes past a 45° rotation. This function is just not picked up by the worksheet. Frustrating.

I think this is a bug.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

In reports (worksheets). width is not actually width, but rather the X dimension of the bounding box (might be different for rectangles) while Height if the Y dimension of the bounding box.

The OIP is much smarter than the worksheets.

Just gunna say that is a very sad song you're singing there @Pat Stanford.

A long time ago I had a vision that I could pull length and width of my 3d rectangles that I used for print graphics on set models, and put them on a worksheet for a graphics schedule.  I worked with a VW trainer to set this up, and then we both came to the conclusion that the worksheet data is only accurate when pulling that information in a Top/Plan view.  If the rectangle was in any other orientation, the data would be inaccurate.  Such a pity.