Fit Walls to Objects Problem

Hello All,

I've run into a bit of a snag with a small renovation/addition project. I'm building a renovation model that show existing, demo and new layers. and edition with a shed roof is being removed and a new addition and new roof added. The new roof will marry to the existing roof of the main house in the same place where the demolished shed roof was located. Everything is fine until I try to fit walls to object. In the area where the demolished shed roof is located, this command seems to default to the underside of the demolished shed roof despite asking it to extend to the underside of the new roof layer. The existing roof layer is turned off. Why are the walls defaulting to the underside of the existing roof layer (layer off) and not the new layer (layer on)? I've added a couple of screen shots of the house rendered in OpenGL to show the situation.

VW Roof1.png

VW Roof2.png

I think the problem is that that Wall will extend to or touch

the existing and kept, larger part of Roof, and the new Roof (?)

(Or are these both on Layer new Roof, and I am misinterpreting the object color ?)

Looks like a quite difficult situation where I would not blame VW tools for failing

and think it would be valid to model and BIM tag the demolition objects manually.

Or create a temporary helper Layer with a unique Roof to just fit the Walls,

or better keep existing Walls to existing Roof and add upgrades for new Wall

extensions if applicable ?

• Like 1

@zoomer The first image shows both the new and existing roof. The shed roof is part of the existing roof. So I created a layer for the existing roof and a layer for the new roof. When I used the "Fit Walls to Objects" command, I set the walls to extend to the layer 'New Roof' but it seems to be defaulting to the existing roof, even though that layer is turned off.