BIM vegetation buildup

LisaErn

Hi!

We are working in a larger BIM projet and are delivering 3D files for coordination. One of the things important to coordinate are plant beds in streets. The project has a certain build up as the image below but we have some problems choosing the best tool for this purpose.
Optional would be to use, for instance Landscape area, applying the different build-ups within, be able to see volumes etc, but one of the issues is that we cant figure out how we can create a BIM object with the sloped sides? Straight sides is not how we build it.
image.thumb.png.e9801adb941bae9a934a6977186ae43e.png 

Another question is the visibility, to work best as a coordination object we would like to look down into the vegetation area build up, to spot collisions. Is it possible to have the top and horizontal layers of the build up at an other class possible to hide or to ad a transparancy?

Would be very grateful for answers, this is really a bummer for us.

Kind regards

Lisa

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @LisaErn.

It is great to hear from you and hard to believe its been just over a year since I visited.

Regarding your interest in seeing the Landscape Area perform this very common application, I would highly agree. When components were added to the Landscape Area in our most recent version (2021), we had included this requirement, and I believe it is still soon to be achievable.

In the meantime,  I would suggest that you try using the Slab object, as it will also give you a horizontal layer-based object. The Slab object, however will provide the ability to offset the edges of each component which may be a way of shrinking the horizontal area each layer covers as it extends deeper. This still does not give you a sloped side, so I'm going to ask my colleague @Katarina Ollikainen, who has described a way to 3D model such an application and assign materials to each volume in the 3D modeled solution, with the hopes she can offer a more intuitive solution until the Landscape Area accomplishes this condition.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you and others from AJ Landskap.

Eric

• Like 1

Hej Lisa,

Yes, unfortunately, it's not possible to create non-vertical edges with the landscape area at the moment, but it's definitely on the wish list!

At the moment, I resort to modelling. I've modelled some of the most common tree pits and added materials to these, so I can get a report on quantities. 

If you're calculating C&F, you can then also add site modifiers (3D polygons placed in the Site-DTM-Modifier class) to the edges of the pit.

I assume you wouldn't need all the detail in your model, i.e. membranes? 
You can also add things like pipes going through and get the correct volume by subtracting the volume from the pit (the same way as the rootball)

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.35.02.png

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.44.28.png

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.44.02.png

• Like 1

Hi!

Thanks a lot! We are still struggling a lot but at least we are moving forward 🙂 
Hopefully we would be more active here also, since this is a giant resource with support and the whish list.

I'm also impressed that you remembered me from only the nick name! We really appreciated the meeting with you the last year, time flies. Promise to tell us if you visit Sweden again, i'll bet we and some other offices would like another meeting, if the pandemic allows.

Kind regards

Lisa

17 hours ago, Eric Gilbey, PLA said:

Hi @LisaErn.

It is great to hear from you and hard to believe its been just over a year since I visited.

Regarding your interest in seeing the Landscape Area perform this very common application, I would highly agree. When components were added to the Landscape Area in our most recent version (2021), we had included this requirement, and I believe it is still soon to be achievable.

In the meantime,  I would suggest that you try using the Slab object, as it will also give you a horizontal layer-based object. The Slab object, however will provide the ability to offset the edges of each component which may be a way of shrinking the horizontal area each layer covers as it extends deeper. This still does not give you a sloped side, so I'm going to ask my colleague @Katarina Ollikainen, who has described a way to 3D model such an application and assign materials to each volume in the 3D modeled solution, with the hopes she can offer a more intuitive solution until the Landscape Area accomplishes this condition.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you and others from AJ Landskap.

Eric

Wow, this might be a great solution, I would probably have to read your answer for about 15 times before I fully understand it 🙂

I'll keep in touch with follow up questions!

Kind regards 

Lisa

17 hours ago, Katarina Ollikainen said:

Hej Lisa,

Yes, unfortunately, it's not possible to create non-vertical edges with the landscape area at the moment, but it's definitely on the wish list!

At the moment, I resort to modelling. I've modelled some of the most common tree pits and added materials to these, so I can get a report on quantities. 

If you're calculating C&F, you can then also add site modifiers (3D polygons placed in the Site-DTM-Modifier class) to the edges of the pit.

I assume you wouldn't need all the detail in your model, i.e. membranes? 
You can also add things like pipes going through and get the correct volume by subtracting the volume from the pit (the same way as the rootball)

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.35.02.png

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.44.28.png

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 15.44.02.png

Oh, and this works as the bottom edge modifier is inside the top edge - it wouldn't work the other way 🙂

I made a very quick video of how to do it, see below.

And, of course, when you've created it once, save it and use it again and again.

Hör av dig om du har några frågor.

• Like 3