Plant Symbols Plan Shadow Visibility Question

Is it possible to have document settings plan shadows visible on plant symbols in some viewports and then customize one viewport to not show the same plan shadows controlled by document settings?  Or are we limited to either all shadows are visible in all viewports or all shadows are not visible in all viewports?  We understand we can hide the plant symbol fill class which automatically turns off the shadow, but we would like to have a viewport that shows the fill without shadows while still keeping shadows visible in other viewports.  We can also globally set the document setting plan shadows to 100% transparent to turn off appearance of shadows without manually changing each plant symbol to no shadow.  But that is a global change and not specific to one viewport. 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, Phillip Tripp said:

Is it possible to have document settings plan shadows visible on plant symbols in some viewports and then customize one viewport to not show the same plan shadows controlled by document settings?  Or are we limited to either all shadows are visible in all viewports or all shadows are not visible in all viewports?  We understand we can hide the plant symbol fill class which automatically turns off the shadow, but we would like to have a viewport that shows the fill without shadows while still keeping shadows visible in other viewports.  We can also globally set the document setting plan shadows to 100% transparent to turn off appearance of shadows without manually changing each plant symbol to no shadow.  But that is a global change and not specific to one viewport. 

Hey Phillip,

Yes, in the Document Preferences>Plan Shadow there is an option to set Fill-Style to class. Create a new class (i.e. plant-shadow) and set the attributes. On specific sheets you do not want to display shadows turn the "plant-shadow class" off.
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 12.11.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-23 at 12.14.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-23 at 12.14.23 PM.png

I hope this helps and hope you and the team are doing well 🙂 

Tony

• Like 2

Everything works fine like you said and the opacity of the shadow works fine if set by the document settings, but if we check the box to Use Class Opacity, the opacity appears to be 100% opaque no matter the transparent setting in the class.  We are in VW2019.  Is this a program quirk or perhaps not an issue in a newer VW release?  Or if it works as expected on your end, we'll double check our settings again.  This is not critical since the document settings opacity control works fine, but it would be good to know in terms of sharing protocol with others in the office.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, Phillip Tripp said:

Everything works fine like you said and the opacity of the shadow works fine if set by the document settings, but if we check the box to Use Class Opacity, the opacity appears to be 100% opaque no matter the transparent setting in the class.  We are in VW2019.  Is this a program quirk or perhaps not an issue in a newer VW release?  Or if it works as expected on your end, we'll double check our settings again.  This is not critical since the document settings opacity control works fine, but it would be good to know in terms of sharing protocol with others in the office.

Hmm...Actually you are correct—there appears to be a bug with the class opacity. I'll file the bug but in the meantime, you can control the document settings opacity as you mentioned. The rest of the attributes work fine.

For internal reference (VB-177053)

• Like 2
On 2/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, Edgar RAMEL said:

Hello,
I'm having a problem with the plant's drop shadow preferences.
Indeed, we could assign the parameters of the drop shadows according to a class.
We could use the different attributes of the class and also its transparency.
Since a few 2020/2021 versions, I noticed that it no longer works.
If we check the box "transparency of the shadow according to class" the transparency of the class is not applied and the shadow is opaque.

400191395_Capturedcran2021-02-02120059.thumb.png.c1ac0d83eb7d7e3e8159ca168189f150.png

396652418_Capturedcran2021-02-02120007.thumb.png.920133ddd854079a2824b3a2e27cd5bb.png

Do you also have this problem? and possibly a solution?
Pending your return, I remain at your disposal for any further information.
Cordially.
Edgar

(attached a file with a shadow class and document preferences set as explained)

Plant shadow.vwx 6.99 MB · 0 downloads

Good evening @Phillip Tripp and @Tony Kostreski,

Indeed, there has been a bug for some time with the use of class opacity ...
I had reported it without any feedback, so I see that I am not the only one who has it.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Kind regards.
Edgar

• 1 month later...

My question about plant shadows is this.

When pasting a plant on the plan, it may have a shadow from a previous setting.  When I go to change it, it does not change on the plan.  New plants have the correct shadow but I want to change all of the plants already in the plan.  The Documents Settings are set and I have set all plant style settings to the document setting and gone in and changed the visibility setting to the plant style setting.  Quite frustrating.  VW2021 Landmark.  I have also clicked the show shadow on plan button.

Thanks.

@PMLA something in your plant object settings seems to be incorrect.

I sometimes see this when I copy and paste plants from other projects.

Select the plant, in the OIP click the "advanced plant settings" button, change the shadow setting there to respect the document.  That should override any style based problems that may exist.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...