Smart Options Display Middle Mouse Button behaviour with Pen Tablet

C.T

Question

With the new Vectorwoks 2021 there is the great new feature 'Smart Options Display' I set in 'Vectorworks Preferences' to 'show with middle mouse button'. I am using a Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet, where I have one of the buttons set as 'middle mouse' behavior. Which normally functions fine as a middle mouse button. But with this feature the middle mouse button provokes the 'pan' tool (as in the old days) most of the times and sometimes it will trigger the 'Smart Option Display'.

I am experiencing a mouse clicking battle 😅 and would like to tum of the 'pan' function when using the 'middle mouse' button.
Does anyone here knows a way around this please?

@_c_ @hollister design Studio

@Tony Kostreski @JRA-Vectorworks-CAD

image.thumb.png.53379805ecdb016559f0592701e09d77.png

Edited by C.T

8 answers to this question

@JRA-Vectorworks-CAD it works somehow different with the Pen as it doesn't rest/ sits still on the Tablet. So I need to tap to in order to provoke the 'Smart Options Display' and with holding the middle mouse button this will then display the 'Pan Tool'.

But now you mentioned the double tap, I tried to double tap with the pen on the tablet without pressing the middle mouse button, then hold still for 1 or 2 sec. and the display comes up as well.

Plus I also set a short key for the 'Smart Options Display'.

3 hours ago, C.T said:

With the new Vectorwoks 2021 there is the great new feature 'Smart Options Display' I set in 'Vectorworks Preferences' to 'show with middle mouse button'. I am using a Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet, where I have one of the buttons set as 'middle mouse' behavior. Which normally functions fine as a middle mouse button. But with this feature the middle mouse button provokes the 'pan' tool (as in the old days) most of the times and sometimes it will trigger the 'Smart Option Display'.

I am experiencing a mouse clicking battle 😅 and would like to tum of the 'pan' function when using the 'middle mouse' button.
Does anyone here knows a way around this please?

@_c_ @hollister design Studio

@Tony Kostreski @JRA-Vectorworks-CAD

Ciao, you should be able to map the pen to keystroke Q. That should be by default your assigned key for the Smart Option Display (additionally to spacebar and middle-stroke).

This was a truly well done feature showing deep foresight.

You can change the key in your workspace:

1639228831_Screenshot2021-02-21at14_59_31.thumb.png.a6c7f99957296f3fc3b746a6225082e1.png

1783411918_Screenshot2021-02-21at14_55_50.thumb.png.800bdb37d444caf801079667d1f4a687.png

Thank you @_c_

With a Wacom Bamboo Tablet the settings are less advanced, meaning I cannot set buttons per application.

I did indeed set a short-cut key to provoke the 'Smart Options Display' (chance a few actually, see image).

778230803_2021-02-2115_10_22-Window.thumb.png.6687f74356bc7c65a508c85643fe14eb.png

6 minutes ago, _c_ said:

Ciao, you should be able to map the pen to keystroke Q. That should be by default your assigned key for the Smart Option Display (additionally to spacebar and middle-stroke).

This was a truly well done feature showing deep foresight.

You can change the key in your workspace:

1639228831_Screenshot2021-02-21at14_59_31.thumb.png.a6c7f99957296f3fc3b746a6225082e1.png

1783411918_Screenshot2021-02-21at14_55_50.thumb.png.800bdb37d444caf801079667d1f4a687.png

Keyboard is fine, got a English (US) international QWERTY keyboard. I set '1' as a short cut key for 'Smart Options Display' which works.

I just would like to cancel/ get ride of the Middle Mouse button (of pen) activating the pan tool. But I am afraid that this Middle Mouse shortcut cannot be modified......?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how to or even if you can disable that.

I actually like the MMB for pan - with Ctrl+MMB as tumble, it's kind-of one key navigation - if only zoom implementation was better!

I have my smart options set to key '1' too,  seems to be a good spot ergonomically as I use it often.

Wacom pen (which s never ever still) doesn't play well with the smart options set to Spacebar, so I turned that off.

Side Note, the Bamboo is probably not the right tablet - only one button and lower resolution so it's a bit more 'jumpy' - an old Intuos 3 will work well and they are very inexpensive on ebay. I might even have an old one hiding somewhere in the office if you'd like!

Thank you for the offer, but I am not sure where I need the resolution for?
Don't have any (jump) issues with i.e. Vectorworks- or regulars Photoshop designwork and I am a Happy Camper. 🤗

One small correction though. It might not look like it, but the Wacom Bamboo Pen does have a 2 button function:

1128028200_2021-02-2212_21_15-Window.thumb.png.0557c17484d969aadf862c8506ea46cf.png

Furthermore I use:

- Spacebar to Pan.

- Spacebar+CTRL to zoomscoll.

- Spacebar+CTRL+MMB (of pen) to orbit.

image.thumb.png.7a47d9dd59853438238dae339c39e78e.png

Edited by C.T