Rendering of AEC objects

lsk

I am creating a 3D of an ancient house in which every door is a different size and style. I click on the "insert door" and set up the individual style, size etc. and then drag it to the wall it belongs in - drop it in. I have given the walls and the doors different colors. (Im doing this all in one layer by the way)

Everything looks fine in top/plan; everything looks fine in isometric; but when I render it, even final solid, half the doors disappear - I can see them in wire-frame and even in hidden line - but not in a colored rendering. The other half are visible, but only the jambs are rendered with color - the door panels aren't.

What am I doing wrong?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In particular, look at the "style-#" class popups in your windows and doors. These are classes used to assign graphical characteristics (colors, etc.) to subportions of objects. These are set by popups in the window and door objects. If they are set to 'none', then they will take on the characteristics assigned to the window or door. If they are set to one of the style options, then that class is created and must be visible. The subportion of the object that is in the style- class will be displayed during render in the display attributes of that class.

First let me say thanks to the users who helped, but just in case there's another tyro out there with this problem - what I was doing was my downfall. I was creating the individual doors on the desktop and then trying to slide them in place. Don't bother - just click and pop any old door where you need a door and then customize each door indivually usinf command i object info. Works like a charm and now I'm creating doors and windows etc etc like I invented them!

Thansk to all again.

The glazing styles take on the settings assigned by the glazing style class. By default I think they are set to a white solid fill. You can change this class attribute to None as the fill to get a "see thru" look. You can change it to use a glass texture, etc.

Just open the classes dialog box after inserting a window. Scroll down until you see the glazing style class. Click on the EDIT button to edit the attributes of the class. Now, any door or window using that glazing style will take on the attributes of that class. (when you select use at creation)

• 1 month later...

I have put in the wish list to include this tidit in future updates and releases under updated documentation. If it goes in before a VW 10 should come out, then it would not be in the manual but in the DocUpdates PDF file in the VW ARCHI-LAND 9.5.x\ReleaseNotes folder.