Existing and Proposed Site Sections

Alvar

Question

Hi all,

I have a simple rectangular building which is partially embedded within the side of a slope. I have a proposed site terrain model on one layer and the existing terrain on another and I want to create a section which shows the existing and proposed terrain lines. Despite putting the Existing Terrain on a the NONE class and turning fill and skirts off,  when I create a section the Existing Terrain creates a white fill which partially covers the fills of the perimeter walls although the outlines of the walls are visible. I have turned off 'Display Extents beyond Cut line"  but still the white fill is present.

How do I get the Existing Terrain line to display a line only ? And how do I make the terrain lines thicker please? 

Any help appreciated. 

Using VW2020

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 13.05.57.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 12.37.02.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 13.11.43.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 13.16.47.png

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm a little puzzled why you have existing and proposed terrain on separate layers. A single site model can display existing and proposed. You apply site modifiers to the existing site, to create the proposed site. But Vectorworks keeps track of both, so you can calculate cut and fill. The Site Model Section command can then be used to create an annotation of the surface of both sites, together, with levels annotated if you wish. 

There's a learning curve, but plenty of information to help in Vectorworks University:

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&search=Vectorworks-Landmark&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&categorysort=default&mycourses=0&search=terrain

And here's an overview of the process:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FSiteModel1%2FDesigning_landscapes.htm%23TOC_Concept_Sitework_overviewbc-2&rhsearch=terrain&rhsyns= &rhtocid=_9_0_0

• Like 2

Hi Tasmin, thanks for the reply. 

I can't use the Site Model Section because it doesn't cut a section through the building - only the site. 

It would be good if I could use a single DTM to show proposed and existing but not sure how to do this. When I change the 3d Display to Cut and Fill in Object info the DTM seems to jump in position for some reason. Is this what you mean?

I have managed to get something approaching what I want by duplicating the DTM setting one to proposed and one to existing and then giving each difference attributes, so you can see the dotted line of the existing terrain and the solid for the proposed. The white fill problem seemed to because I was referencing in the terrain model, cutting sections through referenced files doesn't seem to work very well when I break the reference it seems to work.

1140459441_Screenshot2021-02-21at10_12_13.thumb.png.3b0f9b14dafc7b41697deaf44e9eb4ff.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Cut and Fill display is a flat plan of where to cut and where to fill. Instead, there is a button to Update Cut and Fill Calculations. 

The Site Model Section command creates a 2D annotation, which you can include in a viewport. 

The single site model is a far more efficient way to work, but as I said in my post above, there is a learning curve. 

This course will help you:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=1&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=2

• Like 1
On 2/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

A single site model can display existing and proposed. You apply site modifiers to the existing site, to create the proposed site.

I created a site model and made site modifiers to alter the site model to the existing retaining walls and landscaping stairs. 

So far so good.

I used a combination of 3Dpolygons on the upslope side of the walls (thanks for this tip Tamsin!) and contour site-mods, and have existing conditions nicely represented.

Now comes my problem.

I want to demo some of these and keep others.

1. I know the site can show existing, proposed, or both.

I expected to be able to set some site mods to existing (the ones I'm going to demo) and some to both (the ones I want to remain). But contours can only be either existing or proposed, not both. 

How to proceed?

2. I love the 3Dpolygon on the Site-DTM-Mod layer trick!

But how do I set these 3Dpolygons to 'apply to' existing or proposed? There doesn't seem to be the option in the OIP?

Am i thinking of this wrong?

If you apply a modifier to the Existing model then it is by default applied to the Proposed model as well, because you have altered the terrain. 

The idea is that the Existing model represents the existing terrain + is derived solely from your source data + has no modifications applied to it. I think. All the modifiers are then applied to the Proposed model + this way the Cut + Fill calculations correctly reflect the changes to the terrain between the unmodified existing state + modified proposed state.

I presume this is why when you convert a 3D Polygon into a site modifier by placing it in the 'Site-DTM-Modifier' class the modification is by default applied to the Proposed model.

If you need to edit the Existing model to modify the source data so that it more correctly reflects the existing terrain then I believe you should do it by using the 'Recreate from Source Data' command rather than using site modifiers. If you apply modifiers to the Existing model you run the risk of them conflicting with modifiers subsequently applied to the Proposed model. Plus if you start applying modifiers to the Existing model then the cut + fill calcs will no longer correctly reflect the change in volume between the existing terrain (as per the source data) + the modified terrain.

Another method I saw for modifying the Existing model was to apply the modifiers then go to Top view, change display to '3D Contours', Ungroup the model which converts it into 3D Polygons, then use these as the source data for creating a new site model based on the modified terrain.

I think if you are trying to show different modification options within the same site model you can place your modifiers on different layers + control which ones are applied to the site model at any one time via the 'Use Site Modifiers on' setting in the Site Model Settings.

This at least is how I understand it but could be wrong!

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Another method I saw for modifying the Existing model was to apply the modifiers then go to Top view, change display to '3D Contours', Ungroup the model which converts it into 3D Polygons, then use these as the source data for creating a new site model based on the modified terrain.

Wish I had thought/heard of this solution before.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1